Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sleeping at night

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

How old were your kids when they started sleeping though the night. My Ds is 4 months old and will either sleep from 8pm-7am (when I wake him to nurse so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school) OR he will sleep from 11pm-7am (again I wake him so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school)

Is that about a normal age for a baby to start sleeping all night

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I would say it's early and that your baby may start waking again when the next growth spurt comes along. How many diapers does he go through in a day?
SadieJames
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Any and all variations are "normal" I think.  I only have a 3 week old but have nannied for children through college and a couple years after (six different families). All kids STTN at different ages for different lengths of time.  Some kids STTN for awhile then started getting up again too.

some women are blessed with babies that sleep 6 hour stretches from birth - some kids don't do that for two years.

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Oh my pleanty LOL....Im prob changing a wet diaper ever 30-60 min LOL. Hey may start to wake up that is true. My DD started sleeping throught he night at 4 mo old BUT she was also FF

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I would say it's early and that your baby may start waking again when the next growth spurt comes along. How many diapers does he go through in a day?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

How old were your kids when they started sleeping though the night.

Mine;s 13 YEARS and doesn't do that. Nor do I... and I'm turning 50!

Sleeping through the night is not age based. It's NEED based. They do it when they need to.

My Ds is 4 months old and will either sleep from 8pm-7am (when I wake him to nurse so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school) OR he will sleep from 11pm-7am (again I wake him so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school)

ALL ages are normal for a baby to start sleeping all night. No such thing as too early or too late. THey do it when they need to. As long as dipes are good you're good.

But beware... it IS too early to be seeing a permanent sleep pattern. Expect it to change. Especially when teeth start popping.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:35 AM
This!
I never sleep all night either. I never expected my boys to be any different.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Sleeping through the night is not age based. It's NEED based. They do it when they need to.

My Ds is 4 months old and will either sleep from 8pm-7am (when I wake him to nurse so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school) OR he will sleep from 11pm-7am (again I wake him so he doesn't get hungry when we take DD to school)

ALL ages are normal for a baby to start sleeping all night. No such thing as too early or too late. THey do it when they need to. As long as dipes are good you're good.

But beware... it IS too early to be seeing a permanent sleep pattern. Expect it to change. Especially when teeth start popping.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:51 AM

OH man I am a sleeper and so is my DD so I am hoping my DS is the same, Hubby is a night owl tho. But me I LOVE TO SLEEP LOL. I jsut wanted to make sure he is ok to go all night w/o food. I remember my Dr saying something when DD was a baby that after 3 months night feeding aren't needed so i don't wake him any more and we get a LOT of wet diapers. He doesn't wake up in a wet diaper but trust me he pees enough in his first wet diaper of the day to make up for all night lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

This!
I never sleep all night either. I never expected my boys to be any different.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM
If he's putting out enough diapers, he's fine. Just don't be surprised if it does change due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Yeah I am expecting that, my DD would wake up in the middle of the night every 3 months for about a week till she was 1.5 (those were her growth spurts) id cuddle her or give her warm milk in a sippy (after age 1-warm milk in bottle before age 1).

Trust me I am taking advantage of the sleep LOL

Quoting aehanrahan:

If he's putting out enough diapers, he's fine. Just don't be surprised if it does change due to growth spurts, teething, new milestones, separation anxiety, and many other things.

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM

There's a whopping range of normal. Sleeping through the night is technically 5 hours. Based on this, my first "achieved" this at 9 months. My second slept that long at 1 month. As far as sleeping from being put to bed until morning, my first did this at 26 months. My second is only 3 months, so it will be a while. 

becky1109
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM

my ds is 13 months and still wakes at least once a ngiht to nurse, every once in a while he will sleep through

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN