Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Apparently I'm supposed to wean onto whole milk

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 22 Replies
Grr. Had dd's 12mo checkup today. She's 18lb11oz. Dr asked if she was on whole milk because she's now 1. I said no, she's still bf. She said well you're going to wean her soon, yes? Ummmm no. I told her E will weanherself when she's ready and we have no need for cows milk. She brought up concern about E's weight, since she's in the 10th percentile and hasn't gained weight in almost 3 months. I kindly reminded her that E has been walking for over 3 months and has been running for about a month. Obviously she's going to be burning a lot of calories and she nurses all night because of it. Ughhh. Just annoys me. Diapers are more than adequate, she's meeting and exceeding milestones, we did bls with healthy nutritious foods, and she nurses on demand. Just because the dr is used to seeing chunky ff babies doesn't mean there's anything wrong with my dd being petite. So annoying!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I'm glad you know better. :) In one ear, out the other, mama.
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Good thing you know better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Yep!
I feel for all of the babies of the moms who don't know.

Quoting justone_jen:

I'm glad you know better. :) In one ear, out the other, mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I took my DD off formula at 12 months and went to whole milk and she is just fine. Plan on doing the same with my DS. Ill wean him at 12 months and then he will get my milk in a cup a few times a day but will also get whole milk if he wants it. 

Plus not ALL ff babies are chunky....my DD was SKINNY and FF and my DS is CHUNKY and BF

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM
5 moms liked this
Cool story? Just fine isn't good enough for my daughter.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

I took my DD off formula at 12 months and went to whole milk and she is just fine. Plan on doing the same with my DS. Ill wean him at 12 months and then he will get my milk in a cup a few times a day but will also get whole milk if he wants it. 

Plus not ALL ff babies are chunky....my DD was SKINNY and FF and my DS is CHUNKY and BF

Anonymous2u
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:04 AM
Glad u know better mama!
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Not like it was the plan, I coudln't nurse my daughter so I had to do the best I could. No need to be rude was just trying to say I believe its the mothers choice wether you give whole milk or not.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not being rude. No where in my post did i say anything about whether giving whole milk wasn't a mothers choice... So not sure where your reply came from but ok. I stated there's no need for whole milk for my dd to have it as she's still breastfed and it's annoying that the dr thinks I should wean to whole milk which I feel is far inferior to my milk.

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

Not like it was the plan, I coudln't nurse my daughter so I had to do the best I could. No need to be rude was just trying to say I believe its the mothers choice wether you give whole milk or not.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

adrianna1043
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you. I planned on weaning my baby at one year, but we were both doing so well that I just continued. He is 16 months now, going strong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Good thing you know better! And I'm sorry your doctor isn't supportive (or much educated). My first was 18 lbs 3 oz at a year and my doctor didn't give me any grief about weight. Congrats on the nursing this long and beyond!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)