Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

non-dair food allergies

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

I think my son his allergic to tomato sauce :( 

He has every now and then, like maybe once a month, been having a poopy diaper thats green and looks like an upset tummy. He might be a little bit fussy and gassy and his poop looks like that of a baby with a food intolerance. something typical of dairy allergy which is what everyone thought it was. but I have dairy all the time and this only happens every now and then and oddly never in the week or so that I have lots of dairy. 

It always right around the time that I have spaghetti and sometimes pizza (i normally squish most of the sauce off) ...I notice he had the same reaction after I made italian beef stew which has canned tomatoes in it..

anyone else have issues with any food other than milk products?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM
My dd can't eat cooked carrots without getting a terrible diaper rash, it almost looks like her skin is burnt, it gets so raw. Same goes for grapes. She had issues with tomatoes for a bit, but she outgrew that. I'm actually starting to realize she's not tolerating dairy too well, so we'll be doing an elimination diet on her to see if it helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

My dd can't eat cooked carrots without getting a terrible diaper rash, it almost looks like her skin is burnt, it gets so raw. Same goes for grapes. She had issues with tomatoes for a bit, but she outgrew that. I'm actually starting to realize she's not tolerating dairy too well, so we'll be doing an elimination diet on her to see if it helps.

wow thats a lot of eliminating! I had to eliminate fish earlier cause he would straight up prjectile vomit if I had it. Not a big deal cause I dont eat fish often. But I eat italian dishes with tomato all the time :( 

I couldnt imagine eliminating dairy, cooked carrots and grapes though!

Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Mine is allergic to avocados. I didnt realize what was making him breakout and have terrible diaper rash and poo until he started solids. Then I figured out what was happening. Since cutting them out of both our diets, no more awful rashes :)

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

wow avocado, how random! glad you figured it out! 

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Mine is allergic to avocados. I didnt realize what was making him breakout and have terrible diaper rash and poo until he started solids. Then I figured out what was happening. Since cutting them out of both our diets, no more awful rashes :)

GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

My daughter, who is now six, could not have strawberries or tomatoes.  There would be a rash around the mouth and on the bum and green acidic smelling stools. 

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Quoting GraceStrickland:

My daughter, who is now six, could not have strawberries or tomatoes.  There would be a rash around the mouth and on the bum and green acidic smelling stools. 

wow thats crazy! I havent experienced a diaper rash with my guy yet *knock on wood* that doesnt sound fun at all! and those are two great foods lol

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
She loves yogurt and cheese (still nurses so no cows milk), but every time she eats those, or anything with a decent amount of dairy in it, she gets nasty green poops, smelly gas, and I just found a big patch of eczema behind her knee. I have no idea how long that eczema has been there for, but I know those are classic symptoms of dairy issues, so we'll see I guess!

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

wow thats a lot of eliminating! I had to eliminate fish earlier cause he would straight up prjectile vomit if I had it. Not a big deal cause I dont eat fish often. But I eat italian dishes with tomato all the time :( 

I couldnt imagine eliminating dairy, cooked carrots and grapes though!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Pippi is allergic to a few things (it feels like a lot, but really isn't lol).  She only ever reacted to dairy in bm by being colicy and reflux, no other signs.  None of her other foods seemed to effect her.  Now if she eats them, that's a different story!  Bleeding rashes from her poop, it's getting better now but we're very strict with her diet

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Let's see in this house we all have dairy allergies, some of us have soy allergies, all of us girls have strawberry allergies(my oldest daughters being very very bad), the youngest 4 all have egg allergies, and we eat gluten free. So I have not had dairy, soy, eggs, or gluten in years lol. When my oldest daughter was younger she was allergic to everything! She has outgrown alot of her allergies but obviously not all. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Be extremely cautious about bananas and latex--all 3 of those are related and they are very common cross-allergens.

OP, my oldest had issues with tomatoes, squash/melons, onions/garlic, dairy, soy, eggs, carrots, and some that I'm fogetting at the moment.  He outgrew most of them by 1 year and all the rest by 5 (except for a continuing intolerance for cow's milk, cheese and ice cream are fine though).  My youngest had issues with dairy, soy, goat's milk, chocolate, caffeine, and eggs and has outgrown all of those but now has developed a severe allergy to shrimp so I carry benedryla nd an epi pen everywhere we go now.  Food allergies are no fun, but once you lean to live with them it's not as hard as it seems at first.

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)