Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$20 for ONE bottle?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 25 Replies

So yesterday the LC at the WIC office gave me a medela pump and showed me how to use it to catch my milk when DS pops off because of my forceful letdown. 

She also went on and on about the new Medela bottle. Evidently she just went to a Medla seminar and was super excited aout it. The new bottle is called the Calma.. and I think I saw a post on here about it. It is new and really super cool. The nipple is controlled by the babies suction and it more like a breast than any other nipple out there. 

So of course, I went and looked it up. even though I don't want my DS taking a bottle for a long time if not ever. But the bottle sounded cool and if DS ever HAS to take a bottle this sounds like the best one. 

The $20 price tag seemed great, until I read the product description and saw it was for ONE 5oz bottle!!! 

Holy COW that is expensive! 

That bottle better be a boob for that price. 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

There has been a lot of hype about the calma. I didn't realize it was so pricey.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Those bottles aren't so great. It's supposed to like the breast but it basically requires baby to suck different and they end up gagging. I've read horrible reviews on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfeeding/products/breastmilk-feeding/calma-feeding-device/calma-video.html

Here is a video 

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Really I thought the whole point was that baby could suck the same?

What bottles do you recommend?

Quoting shortyali:

Those bottles aren't so great. It's supposed to like the breast but it basically requires baby to suck different and they end up gagging. I've read horrible reviews on it.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Yeha the LC was ALL about it. She said she was going to buy some for her pregnant sister. 

But she was under the impression it was $20 for a pack of 5 not ONE 5oz bottle. 

Quoting shortyali:

christineT79
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I bought a starter set of bottles from Tommee Tippee & they were 40.00 for a pack of 4. I thought that was expensive. 20.00 for a bottle is kind of crazy especially after spending 300.00 on one of their pumps.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Do you like Tommee Tippee? Theey are actually on sale right now at Babies R Us, because they came out witha new design so the old design is on clearance. The sael is 13.99 for a 3 pack. 

The new design has a straw inside it. 

Quoting christineT79:

I bought a starter set of bottles from Tommee Tippee & they were 40.00 for a pack of 4. I thought that was expensive. 20.00 for a bottle is kind of crazy especially after spending 300.00 on one of their pumps.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't buy ANY Medela  products but yes that bottle has horrible reviews & is not worth the money .

BabyFruit Ticker

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I can't really recommend one because it depends on the baby. DD did great with the cheapies from Walmart. Now with DS2 we've tried the cheapies, 3 different kind if playtex and evenflo, and we've even tried the Tommiee tippee sippy cups and he isn't a fan of any of them.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Really I thought the whole point was that baby could suck the same?

What bottles do you recommend?

Quoting shortyali:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Do you like Tommee Tippee? Theey are actually on sale right now at Babies R Us, because they came out witha new design so the old design is on clearance. The sael is 13.99 for a 3 pack. 

The new design has a straw inside it. 

Quoting christineT79:

Yeah, I like them. I'm a SAHM so I really never have to bottle feed my baby. The few times I had to she would only take to the Tomee Tippee. I got a gift set of Medella stuff at my baby shower & it came with some regular Medella nipples that go on the bottles that you pump into. My baby didnt like those at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)