Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

sorry posting a lot

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 25 Replies
I just dont want to mess up anything. Sorry I post a lot. I was wondering is there anyway to make latching on easier? I found out I was latchig on wrong. Now sometimes it hurts, others it doesn't. Is there a way or trick to making it easier? Also Autumns starting to fuss. Ill latch her on either breast, she will reposition herseld, cry, make this cute mmm, mmm sound then cry. She turns red sometimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I'd like to know too. I'm suspecting lip tie with DS though. =/
GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

If you describe how she is positioning herself and iin what way she is latching incorrectly I might be able to help you out =)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I use football hold and she will take herself ofd, shake her head back and forth. I think not getting enough aerola. Idk whata considered normal size but I think I have big areolas.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

If you describe how she is positioning herself and iin what way she is latching incorrectly I might be able to help you out =)

viasacra18
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM
All I can say is put the whole nipple in and sometimes it looks like the whole thing is in, but its not! You can unlatch gently by putting your finger in her mouth and popping the nipple out! Also your local la leche league will help! And its going to hurt a little when your first nursing because your nipples are toughening up! Put cold coconut oil on them, its amazing and its safe for baby to have in her mouth! And don't apologize for asking for help, everyone needs help here or there! If you need anything you can always message me, I dnt know everything but I have had three kids so I know a little lol!!!
GraceStrickland
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have freakishly large areolas, they never get all the way in.  Have you tried just a regular cross cradle?  I'm not sure if this applies to you but football hold works best on women who are all around larger and from your headshot you look like cradling, or cross cradle (just natural across your front) may work best.  I like to take my free hand and get the nipple and areola between my pointer and middle finger and bunch it up to make a small package (like making a grape into a raisin!)  Then when the babies mouth is open widest and the tongue is down gently but firmly push the baby into the breast with the other hand, attached to the arm that is holding the baby.  Rocking semi-vigorously and rhythemicly can help her adjust and accept the position.  I've found success with this and have helped a few Moms who found this was easier.

If this is something you've tried without success there are other options, but that is the most common one.

It's so overwhelming and stressful in the beginning, but it gets better! =)

viasacra18
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I have big ones too lol and I've found that laying down helps a lot because I don't have to hold her and try and keep the whole nipple in her mouth, I can have her lay next to me and focus on her latch!

Quoting mama-smurf:

I use football hold and she will take herself ofd, shake her head back and forth. I think not getting enough aerola. Idk whata considered normal size but I think I have big areolas.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I never tried scrumchig it up. Is there a way I can push it in or do I have to unlatch her?? K can get the front aerola in but the sides I cant

Quoting GraceStrickland:

I have freakishly large areolas, they never get all the way in.  Have you tried just a regular cross cradle?  I'm not sure if this applies to you but football hold works best on women who are all around larger and from your headshot you look like cradling, or cross cradle (just natural across your front) may work best.  I like to take my free hand and get the nipple and areola between my pointer and middle finger and bunch it up to make a small package (like making a grape into a raisin!)  Then when the babies mouth is open widest and the tongue is down gently but firmly push the baby into the breast with the other hand, attached to the arm that is holding the baby.  Rocking semi-vigorously and rhythemicly can help her adjust and accept the position.  I've found success with this and have helped a few Moms who found this was easier.

If this is something you've tried without success there are other options, but that is the most common one.

It's so overwhelming and stressful in the beginning, but it gets better! =)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Hmm ill try that. I hover over her and she lays facing my breast or under

Quoting viasacra18:

I have big ones too lol and I've found that laying down helps a lot because I don't have to hold her and try and keep the whole nipple in her mouth, I can have her lay next to me and focus on her latch!

Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting GraceStrickland:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Try laying in bed belly to belly. It's how i got through those first couple of weeks. And make sure you always unlatch her and relatch if it's wrong.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Ok I been doing it wrong, if it hurts I try to fight through the pain and let her keep nursing and I put cream on afterwards. I hate taking the boob away from her.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Try laying in bed belly to belly. It's how i got through those first couple of weeks. And make sure you always unlatch her and relatch if it's wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN