Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions about breast feeding

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 18 Replies
Hey, So im due in about 18 days now and I really want to breastfeed i just had a few questions

Can I use both breast and bottle ?
Would I be able to breastfeed during.the day and bottle feed at night?
What is the best pump to buy?
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Yes, you can use both (if baby allows!), but you should wait 4-6 weeks before introducing a bottle so that you can get breastfeeding established.

You *can*... but it will be double the work for you, so it doesn't make sense to unless you will be separated.   Whether you are giving the bottle overnight or not, you would need to be pumping while the bottle is being given to maintain your supply.

Best pump depends on your need... going back to school or work?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM

You can use breast and bottle but you shouldn't introduce the bottle until at least 6-8 weeks once breastfeeding is established.

Yes, you can use bottles at night. It will be MUCH easier to nurse at night though rather then getting up and thawing pumped milk.

Best pump depends on how you plan to use it.

TeenMommyToBe7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Yes, you can use both (if baby allows!), but you should wait 4-6 weeks before introducing a bottle so that you can get breastfeeding established.

You *can*... but it will be double the work for you, so it doesn't make sense to unless you will be separated.   Whether you are giving the bottle overnight or not, you would need to be pumping while the bottle is being given to maintain your supply.

Starting in fall i will be going back ti school for 6 months to get my high school diploma so She will be going to my moms daycare 3 days a week from 7-5
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Quoting TeenMommyToBe7:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Starting in fall i will be going back ti school for 6 months to get my high school diploma so She will be going to my moms daycare 3 days a week from 7-5

So, you want a high quality double electric.    Medela, Ameda or Hygiea... the lanisoh affinity is the same as the ameda and sometimes you can get it cheaper.   

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Quoting TeenMommyToBe7:

Hey, So im due in about 18 days now and I really want to breastfeed i just had a few questions

Can I use both breast and bottle ?
Yes, but first get breastfeeding fully established for a good 4-6 weeks before intorducing the bottle.

Would I be able to breastfeed during.the day and bottle feed at night?
Yes, if you want to work twice as hard and be up more during the night :-) Seriously, that is the beauty of breastfeeding, no getting bottles in the middle of the night! Plus, if you are giving bottles in the middle of the night you need to be pumping in the middle of the night to maintain milk production. Would you rather get up, set up the pump, pump, make a bottle, and bottle feed, OR roll over lift your shirt and go back to sleep.

What is the best pump to buy?

Going back to work or school? Hygeia Enjoye or Ameda Purely Yours. If you get WIC check with them, they may provide you with a pump.

Breastfeed when you and baby are together, leave bottles of pumped milk when you are apart.

4Seasons-89
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Like everyone said you can breast and bottle. I have a couple friends who breast during the day and let the dads bottle at night. Buy nursing bottles though!! Never use standards. My friends had her son not to long ago and the hospital screwed her over by having her baby do formula as well as nursing since she was such a hard time nursing. Now he doesn't want to nurse but will take breast milk in a bottle with a standard nipple. What you decide to buy depends on you and what you'd like. I do however suggest an electric no matter what! They pump faster and don't kill your hand. My electric pump is a double but I typically pump one side at a time. If you buy a double they sell these bra like things to help hold double pumps to you.. never tried one but I am looking into it so I can do double and have hands to keep my kids out of trouble lol. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TeenMommyToBe7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Quoting 4Seasons-89:

Like everyone said you can breast and bottle. I have a couple friends who breast during the day and let the dads bottle at night. Buy nursing bottles though!! Never use standards. My friends had her son not to long ago and the hospital screwed her over by having her baby do formula as well as nursing since she was such a hard time nursing. Now he doesn't want to nurse but will take breast milk in a bottle with a standard nipple. What you decide to buy depends on you and what you'd like. I do however suggest an electric no matter what! They pump faster and don't kill your hand. My electric pump is a double but I typically pump one side at a time. If you buy a double they sell these bra like things to help hold double pumps to you.. never tried one but I am looking into it so I can do double and have hands to keep my kids out of trouble lol. If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

rhis was really helpful , i bought these playtex bottles tgey are lije curved looking and they say for mothers who are breast feeding and bottle , does every bottle fit a pump ? or no like what do i need to buy.to succesfully store my milk and breast feed
TeenMommyToBe7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Quoting maggiemom2000:

I will be going back to school but its only for a few months and sadly I don't apply for wic which stinks
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Breastfeeding at night is SO much easier. I have done both breast and bottle. It can be done and some days it's hard, but my youngest just weaned fully a week ago and she's 2 years old. I have been back to work since she was 2 months and she's never had formula. But she did take bottles while I was gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TeenMommyToBe7
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Quoting ColieO:

Breastfeeding at night is SO much easier. I have done both breast and bottle. It can be done and some days it's hard, but my youngest just weaned fully a week ago and she's 2 years old. I have been back to work since she was 2 months and she's never had formula. But she did take bottles while I was gone.

I just want to bottle feed at night so my bf can be involved in feeding her and so when someone babysits her she can eat i do want to breast feed all the time.though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN