Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need major help

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 10 Replies
Ok so my son just turned a month old and breastfeeding has been just fine until like this last week. It's like he will eat a little and then he gets mad. Then he will suck maybe twice and then start screaming. I keep trying to put my nipple in his mouth again and he will suck like twice and scream more. He is obviously hungry but he won't eat which is really frustrating. I try to position him differently but nothing really helps. It got so bad this morning that I ended up giving him some I had already pumped in preparation for me being gone volunteering for a couple hours. He drank it all and was then happy. Any ideas why? Should I switch to bottle breastmilk?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Sounds like a growth spurt. Have you looked anything up on Kellympm about it?
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
That's classic growth spurt behavior. Also, you may have forceful letdown. Do you ever spray milk? Does he ever sputter, gulp, choke on milk while nursing?
No more bottles, save them for when you and baby are separated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM
No I was starting here but I'll check there as well

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Sounds like a growth spurt. Have you looked anything up on Kellympm about it?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Growth spurt.   No more bottles when you're together, just nurse.   It's a frustrating, but necessary phase.

Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM
I only notice spraying when I pump but yes he does all that while eating. It freaks me out sometimes but he won't stop eating unless I stop his to bring him up so he stops choking

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

That's classic growth spurt behavior. Also, you may have forceful letdown. Do you ever spray milk? Does he ever sputter, gulp, choke on milk while nursing?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Sorry this isn't clicky, but it tells you everything you need to know about forceful letdown and how to deal with it! Recline nursing usually does the trick, but check this out. :)
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Quoting Kaylahk:

I only notice spraying when I pump but yes he does all that while eating. It freaks me out sometimes but he won't stop eating unless I stop his to bring him up so he stops choking

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yep, this!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Sorry this isn't clicky, but it tells you everything you need to know about forceful letdown and how to deal with it! Recline nursing usually does the trick, but check this out. :)

Quoting Kaylahk:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ninjascreenname
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM
The reclined nursing works great, I have a two week old who nearly drowns when he's eating and it helps to start out in the reclined position

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yep, this!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting Kaylahk:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Don't give the bottle when this happens, it will only make it harder in the long run.

Try to get him to the breast sooner. When baby is very hungry/tired he will get frustrated easily.

Is he getting mad because he is not getting the let down fast enough, or is he fussy because the let down comes and it is too fast?

Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM
It's more he's frustrated not overwhelmed. He perfectly content and only acting hungry but not fussy when I started. He didn't cry or scream until after I was feeding him

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Don't give the bottle when this happens, it will only make it harder in the long run.

Try to get him to the breast sooner. When baby is very hungry/tired he will get frustrated easily.

Is he getting mad because he is not getting the let down fast enough, or is he fussy because the let down comes and it is too fast?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)