Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can i give him formula?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 8 Replies
i really dont want to give him any formula or a bottle but something has to give!nathan is 15 days old and has been attached to my boobs ALL day.when i take him off he screams.he doesnt want his paci he doesnt want anyone else touching him screamed during the bath hes had a ton of wet and dirty diapers and has burped alot.My boobs are hurting so bad because of this.im not really worried about nipple confusion because he has had a paci since 2 days old and never had a problem.i just dont want my milk supply to go down.so my question is can i give him like 1 or 2 oz of formula or should i just keep letting him nurse even though im empty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM
He's doing what he's supposed to do. Newborns are supposed to be attached to your boobs all day. If you give him formula, you will make that much less milk. Also you will ruin his virgin gut.

And breast are never empty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM
That's normal behavior for a newborn. You aren't empty. Personally I wouldn't supplement. It may do more harm than good. If your in pain I would first suspect that it is due to a poor or improper latch. Are you using lanolin or a similar nipple cream? If you do choose to give formula just remember to pump for every missed feeding to maintain supply.
merinasmommy
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
im using aloe lanolin and stuff they gave me yesterday for thrush.the last 2 days is the only time its hurt to nurse since he was like 3 days old.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

That's normal behavior for a newborn. You aren't empty. Personally I wouldn't supplement. It may do more harm than good. If your in pain I would first suspect that it is due to a poor or improper latch. Are you using lanolin or a similar nipple cream? If you do choose to give formula just remember to pump for every missed feeding to maintain supply.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM
My DS is 16 days old and is the same way. I just let him nurse whenever he wants. It will pass momma! :)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM
This :)

Quoting ceckyl:

He's doing what he's supposed to do. Newborns are supposed to be attached to your boobs all day. If you give him formula, you will make that much less milk. Also you will ruin his virgin gut.

And breast are never empty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM
What are you using to treat the thrush?
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Do you have thrush and you are using lanolin? That will make the thrush worse! How are you treating the thrush!

Yes, you can give formula, but know that it comes with a lot of risks, the least of which is nipple confusion. google virgin gut. Just one bottle of formula can completely upset baby's intestinal flora. In some cases that can mean an extremely bad tummy ache and very fussy baby. It can sensitize baby to dairy protein. It will make this hard part last longer.

Just keep putting him back on the breast, even if he just finished both sides. This is the fastest way to get your supply up to meet his needs.

Hang in there!! 3 weeks old is the hardest time!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Be aware that giving formula at this stage when he's trying to build your milk supply will be like shooting yourself in the foot; your body will no longer be bothered making those couple ounces and you might start down the path of a supply problem. The 3 week growth spurt is a mother. :-( If you can survive this, the pot of gold is at the end of the rainbow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN