Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

latch problems...

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 6 Replies

my son retracts his tongue when hes nursing and doesnt use his tongue right.

we got it clipped twice and i know that its not a tongue tie issue, its just him not sure what to do with his tongue.

we have been taking him to CST

i cant get him to use his tongue right.

idk what to do? he refuses to do suck training. he just bites my finger if i try.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where the judicious use of a nipple shield might be warranted. I forget--do you have an IBCLC you're working with?
LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:55 PM

no, i went to several LCs and all were not helpful, and now im out of money and cant afford to see one.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I'm wondering if this is one of those situations where the judicious use of a nipple shield might be warranted. I forget--do you have an IBCLC you're working with?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Maybe a shield on your own finger! **grin** Yes, I'd go for a shield in this case.

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:28 AM

rhythm wont use a shield, he screams in terror just like he does with bottles lol

Quoting gdiamante:

Maybe a shield on your own finger! **grin** Yes, I'd go for a shield in this case.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Then you're back to the unlatch relatch dance. Since he was recently clipped, a need to re-teach isn't surprising.

Word to the wise... motherhood is nothing but a series of challenges. If it gets easy.. LOOK OUT! **grin**

LucyHourglass
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:03 AM

the unlatch-relatch doesnt seem to be working, lol, i think i need to try to get him to suck train. it helps a little bit when i make him sorta lick my nipple before i let him latch on, then he puts it in the rivght position, but hes been making this high pitch aweful screaming sound when i do that that hurts my ears. ouch. i have such an opinionated and stubborn child. he takes after me too much lol.

in other news, hes finally regained the weight he lost, so he is finally 13 pounds. i'm going to wait until he gaineds 2 more pounds before i attempt any weaning off supplements. and keep careful track in a notebook of his diaper count and weights..

Quoting gdiamante:

Then you're back to the unlatch relatch dance. Since he was recently clipped, a need to re-teach isn't surprising.

Word to the wise... motherhood is nothing but a series of challenges. If it gets easy.. LOOK OUT! **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN