Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing on demand 11 mos?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM
  • 10 Replies

Just wondering if any of you BF moms eventually stop allowing continuous nursing on demand espeically everytime the baby wakes at night?

My DD is just over 11 months old and still nurses every few hours at night. I always put her back to bed by breastfeeding. Tonight she went to bed but woke up 1 hour later after I'd already had 2 beers. I'm not much of a drinker so this hasn't happened before. I didn't want to nurse her back to sleep and expose her to too much alcohol (I still felt very tipsy) and she was sooooooo upset. It was heartbreaking and nearly impossible to get her to calm down and relax enough to get back to sleep. It took 40 mins when it usually takes 20. I know she wasn't hungry becuase she nursed all evening and at bedtime an hour before waking. I almost never refuse nursing (like if driving or in the middle running an errands with no where to sit and nurse.)  I work full time and pump during work. Cosleeping isn't for us.We don't supplement with formula.

Do most moms out there who BF do it on demand all night long until the child weens? 
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
try4baby20
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Some moms do night weaning! I personally never have but with dd I only nursed 9 mo and I'm on month 8 with ds If I have any drinks hubby will give him pumped milk if he's hungry and I'm still tipsy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Yes, on-demand for years.

GL!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You can night wean. Info on how-to on drjaygordon.com.

In the meantime... DAD gets wakeup duty. You don't exist for tonight.

SchmidtyBaby
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for the info, ladies!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Yes i was nursing on demand until it doesnr work for us anymore, but its always been after a year for us. I just nightweaned my 2 yr old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Always on demand until 1. After 1 you can set limits.
If you were sober enough to hold her *i* would just have nursed her
SchmidtyBaby
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Thanks again, ladies!

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

We usually nurse on demand until around 18 months -2 yrs, then it backs off to  bed time, nap time  & when they're hurt or sick . For ME it was jsut easier to nurse when they wanted it than to fight them but we also bedshare, couldn't function without it.(I understand it's nto for everyone but that's how I did it) After 1 yr though you CAN night wean.

BabyFruit Ticker

IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Does se take a pacifier? My ds is starting to wean himself at night here he just wants his plug to go to sleep. But we co sleep so he'll take either or lol
Monkeymama930
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I have been letting my 16m old nurse on demand but now I am setting limits. The reason he just wants to pacify himself with my nipple not nurse. I know this becus he will lay there with my nipple just in his mouth for an hr then get up go get a cup of juice drink it the come back and want back on. :-( I think that's a sign its time to set some limits
But if there nursing really nursing I would not cut them off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)