Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She only wants to nurse while I am walking around.

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 10 Replies

Otherwise, she has a complete meltdown! She won't even look at the boob if I am sitting, without crying. But as soon as I stand she is fine. This is a new behavior. She's always been fine with being rocked to sleep in the recliner. She is 4 months and 3 weeks. I don't mind in the day, but it's just very hard to walk around with a 17 lb, wiggly baby at 1 am half out of your mind.Part of mommyhood! But is there a reason why she suddenly prefers this? Anything I can do to get her used to nursing in the recliner or bed again?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep trying. It's yet another stage.

KristenandCaleb
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Have you tried a rocking chair? That must be so frustrating!

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

my son did this around christmas. unless it was bedtime or in the middle of the night when we layed down to nurse he wanted me to be standing/walking to nurse.  it was awesome considdering we were visiting family :) itll pass.  just be patient.  and think of it as getting a work out while nursing :)

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Can you wear her?  It would be a lot easier to put up with having to stand if you had your arms free.

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I think babies can go through a fussy period at around four months, sometimes even having sleep disturbances but even if you don't knwo what is causing it, keep trying to sit down and nurse and eventually this should pass. You might consiger getting a sling carrier. I got one for DD because she goes through these phases too. If you have her in a sling carrier and she gets used to nursing in it while you are walking around, then try just standing, then maybe try to sit for a minute or two. She might start to accept it. Just a thought!

Bitemebetty
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the opposite issue, he will only nurse if I lay down or sit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summer11baby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter did that when she was a newborn. It was so frustrating but all she wanted was to be walked while nursing. If I sat down she would unlatch and scream, I eventually gave up and just walked until she got over this stage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Deearna
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Hi 4 months is a fussy stage their behaviour patterns start to change, How is your let down reflex? if you have an abundance of milk  walking and gravity helps reduce the flow, have you tried feeding baby on your side to see if this helps? you could even try a rocking chair for a few minutes, but i wouldnt get into the habbit as she will love the rocking too :) 1am feed how much is baby having during the day? are you given a dream feed at all this will then avoid needing to do the 1am

Deearna
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM

BUMP!

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Quoting gdiamante: Just keep trying. It's yet another stage.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)