Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long do growth spurts last?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
  • 4 Replies

DD was gettnig to point she was sleeping some nights through the night but mostly she'd wake up once but for the last almost 2 weeks she's been waking up a lot during the night. Sometimes 4 times to nurse. She hasn't woken up more than once during the night to nurse since she was like 2 months and now she'll be 6 months on the 4th. The past 2 nights she's only woken up twice to nurse. How long do growth spurts last? I do assume this is because of a growth spurt.

Thanks!

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

They last as long as they last. **smile** Sometimes a day, sometimes a few weeks.  However, changes in sleep pattern can be due to MANY things... or nothing at all. It could be teething, it could be that she's getting plenty of sleep during the day and needs less at night as a result.

Sleep changes are really quite normal, so I always tell moms not to get used to anything except not sleeping themselves!

GE1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure she is waking up more often because she is hungry? How is she during the day? Could be a variety of reasons why she is waking up. Teething would be one or it could also be that she had a bad dream or not feeling well and needs comforting. Nursing provides comfort as well as nurishment.

Mitzi31
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I try to comfort her first by rubbing her back to get her back to sleep. Then if she insist on rolling over and staying awake I try to rock her and she just whines. Then I nurse and she acts like she starving and then when I'm dry I rock her for a little while longer to keep her up right a bit and she goes right back to sleep. I thought maybe it was teething but she's been teething pretty hard for a little over a month but this only started a couple weeks ago. Not that it's not teething but it just like she's wanting to nurse more. She nurses about every 2 hrs now where she used to go 3 or 4 hours sometimes.

Quoting GE1:

Are you sure she is waking up more often because she is hungry? How is she during the day? Could be a variety of reasons why she is waking up. Teething would be one or it could also be that she had a bad dream or not feeling well and needs comforting. Nursing provides comfort as well as nurishment.

mylovey
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

For Fin growth spurts last about 5 days. He nurses a lot for 2-3 days, then he spends another 2-3 days sleeping. I don't know if her waking is because of a growth spurt or something else. Fin nurses throughout the night even when he isn't going through a growth spurt.   

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN