Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You can't hide this

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 21 Replies
You know how everyone assumes you just quit nursing when baby turns 1? Hubby's family has tolerated that I am nursing until a year. Of course. She 13 months and nursing at night. I told hubby that we are going to just lie cause its none of their business. We were at a ball game and she starts getting tired and saying NeeNee. My mom starts laughing and my dad does too. The business associate that my dad is talking says "NeeNee I heard that loud and clear." I jjust laugh and say that's what she calls airplanes. He's like yea right!!! Anyway the whole point WTH was I thinking?! I can't hide this. Guess I'm going to have to grow a backbone. Ugh!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Grow that back bone! Sorry rude. Don't hide it and don't stop just because someone else is uncomfortable. It's your body your baby! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Dont hide it! DS nursed til he was 18mo. He just recently stopped. For the last 3 months he only nursed at night or for a few moments of comfort.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Eh, don't lie. You just don't have to volunteer information, but don't lie.

Btw, my son is almost 16mo and I get asked occasionally when he'll be done (like last night at my girlfriend's house... she needed her friends and two of them are pregnant). I think I am the first person they have ever known to nurse longer than a few months. I figure seeing me being "normal" and nursing will help them make educated decisions about their own new nursing relationship.

I've never had someone ask me rudely (except my MIL at six weeks). Be confident in your parenting decisions. Soon, it will be other questions, so you need to have your game plan prepared anyways! :)
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not any of their business but i wouldn't lie. But i also would tell them that it's not a topic that you want their input on if they have something negative to say about it. I want to nurse til hopefully 18 months but my dh's family still thinks i will stop when he gets teeth. I think it bothers them that he's 7 months and has no teeth in sight. MIL is dying for him to be weaned so he can stay over night with her (over my dead body!). He's way too young imo.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep. Don't lie. Don't volunteer info either.

One of the nice things about adulthood is that we get to ignore the ignorant opinions of our families without fear of being grounded! 

But... you can always educate. Continuing to breastfeed cuts your risk of breast cancer in HALF. Also cuts baby's risk. And provides for optimal physical and mental development of your baby.

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

We are still nursing at 25 months.  No one asks, and I don't tell unless I feel like it.  Of course, she still nurses pretty often, so family knows, but they also know I don't give a hoot about their opinion and they save their breath ;)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Its sad you would have to hide that you are nursing..just sad

MissSarah04
by Sarah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah my daughter is 12 months and we nurse in public occasionally still so I know I will get comments. I recently met a lot of my bf's family and they are all super mainstream so they think I am crazy. Last we saw then McKenzie was just about one so they probably figured I was just nursing till one. Now we are supposed to get together monthly so I am prepared for some comments.

One of his family members already gave her soda. I was livid! I said she drinks breastmilk and water and snatched her away. Who gives a baby you met 5 min ago soda?!?

They also think I am weird for cloth diapering but they agree they are cute. Lol.
ria7
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I was just hoping since I'm only nursing at night at home that it would be a non issue but apparently Kylan is going to rat me out.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ria7:

I was just hoping since I'm only nursing at night at home that it would be a non issue but apparently Kylan is going to rat me out.

She'll be doing that forever!  ;)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)