Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Diet while breast feeding?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I decided I need to get back in shape.  My baby is 9 months and I have an extra 20lbs I want to drop.  I started doing workouts on the three days a week I do not work.  I used a pedometer and found I walk about 6 miles per day on the days I work.  

For diet, I started using an app on my phone to count calories.  It suggests around 1600 for me to drop weight.  This app also gives more calories on days that I exercise based off the workout I do.  However, it does not take in account my breastfeeding.  Should i increase the amount of calories because she is still breast feeding?  Should the extra calories be decreased as I produce less (I pump at work, so I know how much I'm making)?  I don't want this to effect my supply, but I want to be healthy and set a good example for her as well!.....  Plus i would like to be able to wear a swim suit without being entirely embarrassed.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
eatyourveges
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I have been able to lose weight eating 1800 calories a day without my supply suffering
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM
If you're eating healthy and excercising, you'll be fine. You shouldn't pump less milk so that you can eat fewer calories though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brenatens
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I'm not pumping less so that I can eat fewer calories.  I am pumping less because she is eating more solids.  I used to be able to get 4oz when I pumped.  Now I get 3oz.  I pump the same... just producing less.

I want to track my calories because I think my portion size can use some work... and tracking my food keeps me accountable. 

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Is the app my fitness pal?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Remember that breastmilk is still her primary food source; solids FOLLOW it rather than replace. 

1800 calories per day. 

For good guidance on your portions, check out the government's "My Plate" page; it shows how your plate should be alloted for healthy eating and it's easier than calorie counting. (Example: meat portion no bigger than your palm.)

brenatens
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM
The app I am using is actually myplate. I saw it when I was on the website. It still goes off of calories. It keeps track of the percent of carbs, protein and fat you eat. But it doesn't track if you are eating enough fruits and veggies ect. There also isn't a way to factor in breast feeding. Unless I count it as a workout burning 300 calories.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:02 PM

The image of the plate is what I like. Half of your plate is fruit and veggies. A quarter of it is grains, a quarter is protein.

That said, Weight Watchers really has the best program for nursing moms. And there's some new research indicating that when you eat is even more important.. main meals before 3 PM.

brenatens
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

The image of the plate is what I like. Half of your plate is fruit and veggies. A quarter of it is grains, a quarter is protein.

That said, Weight Watchers really has the best program for nursing moms. And there's some new research indicating that when you eat is even more important.. main meals before 3 PM.

Hmm eating before three would be very difficult. We generally get up at 8 and I work 3 to midnight. I do lots of running around so that's when I get hungry
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Quoting brenatens:

Hmm eating before three would be very difficult. We generally get up at 8 and I work 3 to midnight. I do lots of running around so that's when I get hungry

I used to work that shift too, I know what you mean!

A lot of my weight gain came when I was working those hours, too. It's a vicious circle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN