Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

supply help!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 1 Replies

ds just had surgery on the 24 th for a vsd heart repair. then 4 days after then open heart surgery. i have been pumping for every missed feed around the clock. im eatting and drinking lots. i get sleep sometimes its more one day and less another day. we have alway had supply isses cauae of many factors. his chd,hes always tired.  tounge,lip tie thosr are fixed,  i was getting 2-3 oz combined at each pumping but now i may v get 1-2 oz if that. i know its still with in nornal limits but ds needs more then 1-2 oz at this v point. its about giving him what he needs to B stay hydrated. im also eatting oatmeal twice a day to help. im just at B a loss. u dont want v to loose what little supply i have . we still have about 6 more dayw here. he cant nurse at breast yet syill to hard and painful even on meds. how can i get more out put? thank you 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

A few tips for you (make sure you click on the hands on pumping link below):

What if I’m not expressing enough milk?

Here are some tips to increase the amount of milk you are expressing:
  • Go back to the basics of learning how to express your milk.
  • Relax. Take a few deep breaths and get comfortable before you begin expressing your milk.
  • Avoid watching the bottles to see how much milk is coming out. Instead, focus on your baby, listen to music, or try some relaxation methods. Many mothers find that watching how much milk is coming out reduces the amount they are able to express. Try covering the bottles with a cloth or towel, so they are not visible. There is evidence that music can be soothing to mothers while they are pumping and improve milk-removal. Music-based practices have been shown to encourage better milk production in mothers who have babies in the nicu (Keith, D.R. et al., 2012).
  • Try more frequent, shorter sessions of expressing milk. Many mothers have said that several 20-minute sessions will yield more total milk than a couple of 30 minute sessions.
  • If you are using a pump, check its condition. Some pumps need parts replaced frequently to maintain full suction.
  • Try “hands on pumping” when you are expressing milk to empty the breast.
  • Use some gentle massage before you express: starting in the armpit and work toward the nipple in gentle, circular motions. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)