Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can i bf while sick?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 17 Replies
im not taking anything for it and not sure what it is but can i breastfeed while sick?i dont think i have a temp(therm. Broke) i just keep throwing up and have a headache(and no im not pregnant).sorry for posting so much lately but i dont want to mess this up.thank you ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. Baby has already been exposed to your germs so the best thing to do is nurse! Then baby is less likely to get sick or if he does then he will have the illness less time. You pass your antibodies through your milk.

Nurse away!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Absolutely.
Just try to stay hydrated. Nursing will pass antibodies to the baby to help protect them
Hope your feeling better soon
MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! Post away!
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM

this

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Absolutely. Baby has already been exposed to your germs so the best thing to do is nurse! Then baby is less likely to get sick or if he does then he will have the illness less time. You pass your antibodies through your milk.

Nurse away!

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Yes. I've battled the stomach virus a couple of times and many colds while nursing. The best part about budding while you're ill, is that your baby is getting your antibodies. Both times I got the stomach bug while my kids were under the age of one, they didn't get it.
Take care of yourself. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Yes! Nurse away! Very good for your baby to get the antibodies. Just make sure to turn away with coughs and sneezes.
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Yea go ahead unless it hurts you to. You can always pump but there shouldn't be anything wrong oh unless you are taking antibiotics and then you have to watch. But other than that you should be fine :)
MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Even then with antibiotics you only have to get some that are safe for breastfeeding and watch baby for thrush.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Yea go ahead unless it hurts you to. You can always pump but there shouldn't be anything wrong oh unless you are taking antibiotics and then you have to watch. But other than that you should be fine :)

IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM
That's what I ment :) we passed thrush back and forth to each other for three weeks :( it suck

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Even then with antibiotics you only have to get some that are safe for breastfeeding and watch baby for thrush.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Yeah. I did that with DS. Now we just use gentian violet.

Quoting IansMommy2012:

That's what I ment :) we passed thrush back and forth to each other for three weeks :( it suck

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Quoting IansMommy2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN