Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

2 1/2 Weeks old and not back to birth weight......

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 46 Replies

My nephew is almost 3 weeks old. He isn't back to his birth weight yet and the dr wants my sister to give him formula. She is nursing and he is nursing well.....but isn't gaining weight. She doesn't really want to supplement and I have actually given her some of my breastmilk to help (I have a 7 mo olf EBF).

Do you all have any thoughts or advice???

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Is her dr pro bf? It doesn't sound like it but then again he should be gaining too. Here's a bump. Sorry I'm not much help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
What was birth weight and date.
Lowest weight and date and most recent weight and date.
How many diapers in 24hrs?
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Same thing happened with my daughter. They wanted me to supplement. I said no. She was 7lbs 2oz at birth and went to 6lbs 9oz. Didn't gain for 3 weeks. Her last weight was at 10weeks and she was 10lbs 4oz.
sassysilvergirl
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure the answers to your questions. She just joined Cafemom so I am hoping she will jump in here and answers those for ya!

He was 6lbs 15oz....born January 16th. He gained an inch and is now 6lbs 12oz.

Quoting melindabelcher:

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Without more info and talking directly to the mom it is hard to know. It could be that everything is fine, but it could also be the sign of the problem.

The bottom line is that supplementing the baby with formula or donor milk will not love any underlying problem. 

If baby is not latching/sucking effectively, and as a result, not getting enough milk, he is also not stimulating moms milk production. Mom needs to start pumping and supplementing with her own milk to protect her milk supply. 

First, pump and supplement (preferably w/o bottles). This feeds baby and stimulates moms supply. Next get a full evaluation from a qualified IBCLC who can determine if baby has a milk transfer problem.

Olivia11812
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Unfortunately the formula is going to have to be what he needs!! :( I know it's hard but it just means that he's not getting enough from her milk and its nothing she's doing wrong it's just some woman just don't have enough fat and nutrients in their milk!! I would say that I take these vitamins called fenugreek seed and I drink this tea called mothers milk maybe she could ask her doctor if that will help her milk be enough for him!?!?!

When my daughter was going through a growth sp she was drinking and extra oz and I wasn't producing enough the first couple days(I'm a pumper) and I had to supplement an oz of formula!! It's not bad for them it's just breast milk has more to offer so maybe she can do like half and half!! I hope this helps and good luck !!! :)
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM
4 moms liked this
This is misinformation.

Quoting Olivia11812:

Unfortunately the formula is going to have to be what he needs!! :( I know it's hard but it just means that he's not getting enough from her milk and its nothing she's doing wrong it's just some woman just don't have enough fat and nutrients in their milk!! I would say that I take these vitamins called fenugreek seed and I drink this tea called mothers milk maybe she could ask her doctor if that will help her milk be enough for him!?!?!

When my daughter was going through a growth sp she was drinking and extra oz and I wasn't producing enough the first couple days(I'm a pumper) and I had to supplement an oz of formula!! It's not bad for them it's just breast milk has more to offer so maybe she can do like half and half!! I hope this helps and good luck !!! :)

sassysilvergirl
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM

he was 6lbs, 7oz when he left the hospital.

She is pumping and I have told her to pump while nursing, etc. He was nursing like every 45 mins. The dr wants her to add formula to the BM for higher calories so he will gain weight.

Olivia11812
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
And why is that???

Quoting melindabelcher:

This is misinformation.

Quoting Olivia11812:

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Lowest expected weight would have been approx 6lb 3oz at 1 week.
after that with the expected gain of 4oz a week by 3 weeks he should be 6lbs 11oz.
Sounds like hes doing prefect and the drs expectations are off.
Bm has approx 22cal/oz but formula only has 20cal/oz so adding formula is less calories

Quoting sassysilvergirl:

I'm not sure the answers to your questions. She just joined Cafemom so I am hoping she will jump in here and answers those for ya!

He was 6lbs 15oz....born January 16th. He gained an inch and is now 6lbs 12oz.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN