Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tongue and lip tie **pic in replies 2nd pg**

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM
  • 14 Replies

So last week i was finally able to take my nursling to another LC for a third opinion on her latch. She was highly recommended to me by a friend and has 13ish years of experience.

She did a pretty good check on her. She said that DD is showing signs of a posterior tongue tie, but that becasue she is so tense in her chin, jaw and back that it may just be muscular and not a "true" tongue tie.

She didn't check her for lip tie, and i know those two things are often seen together. After comparing some photos on the internet and the inside of DD's upper lip, i believe she may have lip tie ...which leads me to believe she probably also has a "true" posterior tongue tie.

I currently live in Sacramento but we are planning on moving very soon. I would like to get this taken care of ASAP because i don't think it will be easily taken care of where we plan to move too.

So, what i'm wondering is if i post a pic of what i believe is her lip tie, is there anyone in here who has experience that can confirm that that is what a lip tie looks like?

Also, does anyone have any idea of where i can take DD to get this fixed without having to take her to her pedi (who i don't think will know much about it) or a list of doctors in this area or something?

TIA!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginnygurl97
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
We just found out my 5 week boy has a lip tie. But his pedi said we won't do anything yet. He can't latch me well, but can take a Playtex nurser bottle well. That unless it affects his speech they don't do much for them at a young age. I am going to be doing more research on this as well. Let me know what you find and I'll do the same!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm going to call up on Monday, my 2yo has a lip-tie, which has given her a gap between her top front teeth and helped cause her tooth decay. It wasn't checked by any medical professional but it's easy enough to spot yourself. I expect a fight to a) get the referral I need and b) find someone to clip it. Or maybe I should do that in reverse order. Another member of momcafe advised I call up the places that do LANAP and ask if they correct lip-tie. Still haven't done it yet, I hate talking to strangers on the phone.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM

The tight jaw muscles are most likely caused by the PTT.

This is who you need to see in Sacramento:

Jaye Simpson, CLE, IBCLC, RLC, CIIM, BC
Owner

(916) 613-5210

IBCLC@breastfeedingnetwork.net

She can help with the LT/PTT and the tight muscles.

She will refer you to Dr. Judd who is excellent with newborns and TT:

Dr. Lynn Judd D.D.S. |  1568 Creekside Dr., Suite 101, Folsom, CA  95630 | (916) 983-1999

Call Jaye and tell her that Teglene sent you!!!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

We just found out my 5 week boy has a lip tie. But his pedi said we won't do anything yet. He can't latch me well, but can take a Playtex nurser bottle well. That unless it affects his speech they don't do much for them at a young age. I am going to be doing more research on this as well. Let me know what you find and I'll do the same!!!

Right now it is affecting his ability to breastfeed! You need to see a different doctor!

See the list of frenotomy surgeons here to find one near you: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

Lots of links to more info:

banana-bear
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I BF successfully for a year with my daughter that was badly tongue tied. She never had it clipped.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
If he's not latching well, it really should he cut. I'd get a second opinion mama.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

It's not the look of the tie, but the restrictions it presents.  Some babies don't look tied, but have a submucosal tie that restricts them from even bottle feeding.  So frustrating for many of us with posterior tied babies :/

Quoting banana-bear:

I BF successfully for a year with my daughter that was badly tongue tied. She never had it clipped.

outstandingLove
by Cheri on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

The tight jaw muscles are most likely caused by the PTT.

This is who you need to see in Sacramento:

Jaye Simpson, CLE, IBCLC, RLC, CIIM, BC
Owner

(916) 613-5210

IBCLC@breastfeedingnetwork.net

She can help with the LT/PTT and the tight muscles.

She will refer you to Dr. Judd who is excellent with newborns and TT:

Dr. Lynn Judd D.D.S. |  1568 Creekside Dr., Suite 101, Folsom, CA  95630 | (916) 983-1999

Call Jaye and tell her that Teglene sent you!!!

Jaye is actually the LC that i saw. We are currently getting services from Dr. Gray (chiropractor) to help with her tension and i'm using baby massage.

I will give Jaye another call tho and just let her know what i've discovered and see if i can get that refferal. I also have OAL so some of the signs of TT were easy to blame on the OAL (like the losing of suction, dribbling, etc).

Ginnygurl97
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah after doing some more research on the links maggiemom gave me, I'm definitely going to have someone else look at it. Thank you :-)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

If he's not latching well, it really should he cut. I'd get a second opinion mama.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

Ginnygurl97
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Thank you for all the great links! His younger is fine, but the lip is absolutely tied pretty badly. I'm going to try and get him in to another doc next week or the following. I pumped the entire time w my first son, and I was enjoying nursing this LO. I don't want to pump for a few months again and lose my supply quickly like I did before.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

Right now it is affecting his ability to breastfeed! You need to see a different doctor!

See the list of frenotomy surgeons here to find one near you: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml

Lots of links to more info:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)