Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Feeding on demand * update and thanks

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 17 Replies
I had my baby yesterday morning. She nursed about an hour after birth and has been up pretty much every three hours like clock work to nurse. I've been feeding on demand because she nursed so regularly but it's 2:04am now and the last time she had anything was a 10:30-11:00pm feeding.

The nurse wants me to feed her at least every two hours but my baby would rather just sleep through it and nurse later. It doesn't help that she's been having problems with what they think is reflux. But they're not certain.

Anyway! Would it be alright to continue on the on demand train or should I wake her and insist she eats since its been so long?

Thanks for all the advice, ladies! I've been feeding her every two hours all day and although nursing without her signal to start makes her a bit fussy, we're getting it done. They checked her bilirubin earlier and said she's borderline jaundice so I've been making sure I stick to the two hour schedule to get her little insides moving. It doesn't seem to be helping though. She hasn't pooped since last night. Which concerns me a little. I feel like maybe if she nursed for longer than 20-30 minutes at a time, she'd be a poop factory. But that's probably normal because no one has checked her feeding chart and said anything about trying for longer. She had two dirty diapers yesterday that were mostly meconium. It wasn't really sticky at all and they're just a dark greenish color, not black. So maybe this crappy hospital food is stopping her up or something. I don't know... Just thinking sort of out loud. The only person I've really talked to in the last day and a half is just a day and a half old and most of that is "I'm sorry, I know you hate it, we're almost done." and "are you hungry? Eat good and poop, pinky."
My husband has been home cleaning the house all day and has to be home every so often to deal with the dog so I'm practically single momming it here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outstandingLove
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I think every 3 hours is fine! Feed on demand, unless she goes past 3 hours. Then i would try to wake her to eat until she is a little bit older.

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM
The only reasons to wake a sleeping baby to feed is if she's jaundiced or having weight gain issues. At this point, weight gain isn't a consideration, so don't worry about that. Is she jaundiced?
Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Not that I've noticed but I haven't really checked. I've had the room kind of dark so we could sleep.

Quoting TTC2Long:

The only reasons to wake a sleeping baby to feed is if she's jaundiced or having weight gain issues. At this point, weight gain isn't a consideration, so don't worry about that. Is she jaundiced?

mrswhite417
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
The first few days, I wake her because jaundice can set in quickly and it is no fun ):
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Feed on demand.  Here's the thing though...as newborns it generally is a good idea to ensure a feed every 3 hours.  2 is a little quick and I would push it to 3 and honestly if things are going wonderfully you could do a little longer but 4 hours max and only at night.  

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I always wake mine to nurse the first every 2 hours the few weeks. Gets them back to bw and clear up jaundice. Once they are back to bw then I let them set the schedule.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I nursed all my on demand, except my firstborn who had jaundice, i did wake him up.
Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM
That young I would wake baby up every 3 hours to eat with one long stretch that doesn't go past 5-6 hours.
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
They should be have checked her bilirubin levels already. If they haven't mentioned it, she's probably fine. I wouldn't wake her and just enjoy the time to sleep and recouperate. Congrats!

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Not that I've noticed but I haven't really checked. I've had the room kind of dark so we could sleep.

Quoting TTC2Long:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM

If baby is wetting and messing enough diapers and is not jaundice I would have no problem with letting them sleep at night..I offer every 2 hours daytime til they regain to birthweight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)