Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How many FT working moms nurse to 12 months on here? just curious

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 32 Replies

Ive been back at work for one month now and nursing and working is a bit of a struggle, but I'm doing it. My lo is 4 months this week, and hope to still nurse her at work at least 1x a day. I will probably have to give up the morning nursing session soon, because it really screws up my morning classroom routine.  My preschool is very small and we are hurting finanically so we dont have extra staff to step in while i nurse. I've been lucky so far with low enrollment but my rooms enrollment is going up so my aide cant be alone anymore for 1/2 hr.  Plus sometimes my lo is napping at that time. Then I pump for 15 min tops but even that is hard. My employer and co workers tolerate it, but I can tell they don't fully support it.  

How do you working nursing moms do this? Plus lack of sleep from nursing at night.  If I had a desk job it would be easier but I work with children, I just can't walk away anytime.  I want to continue to nurse/pump til 1yr then switch to cows milk. Any advice?

fyi   the law doesnt protect me :( we have under 50 employees  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I nursed and pumped to eighteen months this time, fifteen months last time.  This time we are still going at twenty five months, last time odd weaned at twenty months due to pregnancy.

kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I nursed and pumped until my son was a year old, while working full time. He is currently 14 months and I just nurse now when he's with me and he gets cows milk when he's not with me. I work for a mental health agency and make my own schedule so I would schedule my pumping sessions in my schedule before making my appts. I pumped every 2 hours for a to al of 4 times during the work day. I also would pump during my first feeding of the day from the side didn't nurse to get extra. I pumped from the side that produced more. It was a lot of work and it did impact my day but I was determined to make it work. Of course it was easier that I had a semi desk job. Your work has to accommodate you to pump or nurse so don't let them intimidate you or make you feel guilty. You are doing what's adept for your child. Hang in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I also pumped while driving when needed. not sure if you have a commute to work but you could do that to gain extra. I didn't have a commute to my office but a lot of my work is community based so I drove and pumped a lot on way to meetings. I used a hands free bra and a nursing cover up to make this work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigOlBitties
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I worked FT and pumped until 14 months. I pumped in the car and on lunch break and my work allowed me one other 15 min break to pump. Once I stopped pumping, I just nursed when we were together. He self weaned at 23 months.

I won't lie and say it was easy and effortless. Congrats on your success so far!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I pumped for 18 months and am still nursing at 30 months.
I always arrived at daycare early so that I could nurse at drop off. Then pumped three times a day, at 10, 12, and 2. Then I'd nurse as soon as I got to daycare for pick up.
If you cannot take regular breaks, pump at lunch.
Make sure to arrive early so you can nurse before your morning starts.
Nurse on demand at night. My son did a lot of reverse cycling (didn't take much milk during the day, but nursed all night long).
Hugs!! Pumping is the worst part of breastfeeding, but we do what we do for our babies!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Me. 17 months ..
But......I went back to work when she turned one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What a great question.  I am interested in all the replies.  I return to work tomorrow after my 8 week maternity leave.  And I also work with children at a daycare.  I am really unsure how this pumping/feeding is going to work.  My boss and co-workers are very supportive but due to low enrollment we are down to bare bones staffing.  Only my boss is available to let me pump/feed and she does lunch and sometimes works rooms.  Oh well we will see how it all works out.

GrimmLotus
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I worked 50-65 hours a week and nursed & pumped for a year with two seperate babies.

degsyuna
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I'm at 7 months so far. We're hoping to make it to a year but the last few weeks my husband (sahd) has had to pull extra milk from the freezer above what I pumped the day before, so we'll see how it goes.

I work about 50 hours a week as a trainer at a call center. I have 2 15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I work full time and nursed DS1 till 14/15 mos. I plan on going to 2yr minimum with DS2. As for the pumping at work, it is LAW that as long as your co has 50 employees or more that they must provide a place for you to pump and allow you adequate time to do so. They don't have to compensate you for that time according to the federal law but your state law may vary on that. And if they give you any flack about it, that is an hr issue that should be reported immediately.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)