Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

About to give up

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 22 Replies
Yea I really really wanted to brestfeed and do it pretty long term but I just can't go on like this. My son is now a month and we have been through so much trying to get this right. At first he had latching problems for the first few days. Then it seemed fine until he made it look like he wasn't getting enough. His dr did confirm I am not producing enough and keeps trying supplement pills and teas to help boost it. Right now he has gone back to not latching well with frustrates the crap out of him so I've been sent to exclusively pump for him. I am on the last kind of supplement boost we know and it's been two days with no noticeable change. My supply I once had stashed is now down to maybe 4 feedings and i can only pump 2 oz total each two hours. I hate the idea of moving to formula but I hate even more the idea of my son being hungry. I just cant keep going like this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ok first what did dr use to determine you weren't making enough milk? Diapers are the ONLY way to tell if you're making enough. (at least 6 wet or dirty in 24 hrs)2 oz is not an only it's the high end of normal pump output. If you are exclusively pumping how often are you pumping....must be every 2 hrs around the clock. (even if baby is sleeping) Why is your stash depleted? How much has baby been given in bottles at a time & how often?  Has baby been checked for tongue tie??

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Allllll of this!!

Quoting mamabens:

Ok first what did dr use to determine you weren't making enough milk? Diapers are the ONLY way to tell if you're making enough. (at least 6 wet or dirty in 24 hrs)2 oz is not an only it's the high end of normal pump output. If you are exclusively pumping how often are you pumping....must be every 2 hrs around the clock. (even if baby is sleeping) Why is your stash depleted? How much has baby been given in bottles at a time & how often?  Has baby been checked for tongue tie??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slvrbtrfly
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
You just may not be responding to the pump. I would recommend seeing a lactation consultant. She can help with the latching issues, as well as supply issues. Remember, the amount you pump is not an accurate measure of what you are producing, because the pump just isn't as efficient as a nursing baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Don't give up! It can be very difficult in the beginning, but if you keep trying, you can do it. Have you seen a lactation consultant?
piwife
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Don't give up. Is something you will regret the rest of your life. Am talking from personal expirence. How are diapers? Are you nursing on demand? Or only pumping? Pumping output is not an indicator of supply
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Yes.
Answers to these questions will be helpful

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Allllll of this!!

Quoting mamabens:

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM
You can do it
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

This! From what you posted I see no sign of a supply issue. 

Quoting mamabens:

GwenGray
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

mamabeans is RIGHT on the money!

Quoting mamabens:

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
They did ask about diapers which is only about 4 and poops are really small, like a small dot size of maybe a quarter. He drinks between 3 and 4 oz a feeding every four hours. I pump every two from 8am to 10pm. Then I nurse at night on demand which is weird because he has his issues but doesn't get as frustrated and then refusing when he's sleepy. I am only producing about 3 bottles a day and he takes 4 so very slowly my small stash is being depleted

Quoting mamabens:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)