Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Spicy foods and breastfeeding- techinical question

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

I ate a bunch of HOT wings for the game

Does anyone know how long it will affect the milk? If it's hours after ingestion, right away, or for days?

What are the signs that it has bothered the baby? (ei, fussiness, gas, painful stools, etc?)

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Probably won't be a problem at all. Breastfeeding babies in Mexico are exposed to spices all the time.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Looked up spicy food on kellymom.com. No problem--milk is not made directly from mom's stomach contents.
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

from experience, spicy foods gave mine gas and made her fussy.  Also spinach...if I ate spinach, she would wake up the middle of the night screaming for a few hours (tried it three times...that was enough, no more spinach until she weaned).  Each kid is different, only one way to find out.  

Eliots_momma
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
It has never bothered my lo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It is most likely that it will not effect baby at all. Most moms can eat all the spicy foods they like!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Might not affect baby AT ALL. Yes, fussiness and gas are qhat you'd look for and you'd see them before tonight is out. In fact, you'd be seeing them about now as I write this. If not, you're clear.

Most babies have no reaction to Mom's diet.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I live right on the Mexican border so spicy food is a regular part of our diet. I've never had any issues with it effecting my babies. 

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My DH is Ethiopian & they eat alot of spices, anytime I eat Ethiopian food my DS is fine. How old is your baby? Do you give your baby solids? It could be a few things....

staciandababy
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Baby is 10 weeks. Not having problems, just asking.

She had no reaction to hot wings, slight fussiness to salsa

MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I eat jalapenos like some people eat pickles lol and Abigail never shows any signs of being bothered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)