Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

PLEASE HELP ME!! First tooth/biting

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 7 Replies
My DS is 8 months old and just had his first tooth come in and OUCH!!! it's so tiny, but SO SHARP!!! he doesn't bite the entire time, but towards the end he starts to, and idk how to get him to stop!! I nurse him to sleep at night and we just had an awful episode where I kept having to unlatch him and he would cry. It was awful =\ I want to breastfeed to a year, how can I prevent this/teach my son not to do this? It's so painful when he does it that I might quit nursing!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Just be consistent... make him unlatch every time he bites you. It may take a couple sleepless nights, but he'll learn. Be patient and tell him "That hurts mommy"... some moms say to yell "NO!", but I don't feel like a 9 month old needs to be yelled at, especially in his sleep.

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, I would use some lanolin or something first thing in the morning to sooth your poor nipples :)

lovemyairman150
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I was just thinking about busting out the lanolin again, lol

Quoting ACrowsNest:

Also, I would use some lanolin or something first thing in the morning to sooth your poor nipples :)

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM

My DD is at the exact same stage and I was looking for my lanolin this morning too. Luckily she's only bit me once (so far) pre-tooth. Not looking forward to this at all!!!

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Thank you! I was just thinking about busting out the lanolin again, lol

Quoting ACrowsNest:

mylovey
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Fin just got his first tooth, and owwwie, lol. I just took him off the breast, told him "no bite, that hurts mommy", and waited a few minutes to try again. This happened a couple nights ago, and hasn't happened since *knocks on wood*.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM
My DD only bit me once. When she did I yelled ouch. Not at her but gut reaction/instinct when something hurts. I set her down on the floor and went to the bathroom to put something on the bite. When I came back to nurse her again she kissed the boo boo and never did it again.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Kellymom.com has an excellent article on "Nursing Manners" that tells you how to stop biting, among other issues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)