Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing bras and tanks?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:56 AM
  • 19 Replies
I am 38 weeks, pregnant with first and I bought a few bras two weeks ago, along with a few tanks from Motherhood Maternity. I am normally a 34C but I measured a 34D now that I'm pregnant. The lady told me to go up to a 36D and that'd Probably work for nursing. I've been wearing them to 'break them in' a bit and so far I'm not extremely pleased with them. They are wireless and seem to pinch along my ribs. I'm hoping I'll lose some water weight and shrink a little around my rib cage so they're a bit more comfy... Anyhow! I have a couple questions... Should I buy a few that are 36DD? Should I just wait until my milk comes in and then go shop? What are some of your favorite bras/brands? At this point I have two nursing tanks, two sleep bras (they are so thin and not supportive, so not really sure what the point of them is other than holding a pad), and two actual nursing bras (both wireless). What else do you recommend?

Sorry this is a bit long! Thanks for any and all advise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure.......I'm pretty small.  When I'm not pregnant or nursing I'm barely an A.  When pregnant I'm around a C.  But after having the baby and I loose the baby weight and my milk gets leveled out then I'm around a B.  After you have the baby and your milk comes in you WILL be much fuller for a few days, but like you said you will shrink some around and will get back to your 34 size.  So, on average you should be 'ok' with what you have.  But if they are not comfortable for you then you may want to try something else.  I got all mine on clearance either at Walmart or online.  So, I have so many different brands.  My tanks are from Walmart and I love them.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with pp, I love my Walmart tanks and HATE my motherhood tank. I'd wait to get bras until your milk comes in. I went from a dd to an g. You never know. Target has some good stuff too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tbursac777
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i'd just stick with what you have until your milk comes in, and you get use to your supply. your boobs will go down after a few months (i'm 11 weeks ppd) and my boobs have changed so much. i finally just ordered some bras that aren't nursing sports bras

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM
3 moms liked this
I love my nursing bras from target. The Gillian and whoever brand. I just wear the tanks from target (mossimo) that have a deeper scoop under my shirts, and top shirt goes up, bottom goes down.
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I HATED wireless! Everyone told me to not get underwires, but I NEED them! Get underwires if that's what works for you. They make underwire nursing bras.
slvrbtrfly
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree to wait. The target bras and tanks are good. I went up to a DD and they worked well for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Nursing bras are best bought 4-6 weeks pp.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I went from a barely B to a DD with my first pregnancy and stayed that way. I looked for bras that had the widest elastic band around the chest, and bought 2 during the last couple of weeks of the pregnancy. I bought a couple more about 2-4 weeks after the birth. I didn't get engorged with the first baby, so sizes were 38DD all the way. The second time I was engorged for a few days and just wore layered shirts unless I was going out. I had a couple of bra extenders that I used, then bought 40 DD when things settled down.
gumeshoe
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

After birth pretty immediatly my band size went down but my boob size went up leveling out about a month later. I agree with the other ladies hold off for now. You don't know what the old girls are going to do yet. :)

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my Bravado bra's! and they are made to grow and change with your body. I recomend them. Also I wouldnt get underwire because underwire has been known to cause clogged milk ducts. As for nursing tanks, I just get the Walmart or Target ones...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN