Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pinching pulling scratching

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

She just yesterday and today has started pinching then twisting & pulling & scratching boob skin while nursing. ooowie. and today is apparently a marathon nursing (growth spurt?) day.She's almost 5 months. How do I stop or re-direct the pinching,twisting,pulling,scratching oowieness that is the baby tallions lol.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Check out "when babies attack" under the FACs and info sticky at the top of the page.

Even though she isn't biting you can use the same theory for any behaviors that are causing issues.

And no she is not too young to learn. :) You just have to be gentle but firm and consistent. My oldest cut his first tooth at 9 weeks and had 8 teeth by 5 months. He only bit me a few times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Kellymom.com also has an excellent article on nursing manners.
christineT79
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You can also try a nursing necklace to distract her.

Kimberly954
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

My 3 month old does it. I think sometimes they letdown is too much and he scratches me when that happens. Then he just gets distracted.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I didn't allow the pinching, scratching, and twiddling. Redirecting with a toy or a nursing necklace can help. I also tried to keep all skin as covered as possible to limit access. Ending the feeding to teach that the behavior is unacceptable can work as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)