Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What does Thrush look like?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

My DD (32 mo) has a dime size red spot on her tongue. I googled it, and it says one of the causes could be thrush. I made an appt for her for tomorrow afternoon because she's been sick the last few days anyway. But just wondering if anyone has seen something like this before. Could it be thrush or is it something else? Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

When my dd had thrush she had puffy white growths on her tongue, inside her cheeks and along her gumline. I tried to google this a little bit and search images and I have to tell anyone reading this not to google tongue images before dinner. I don't *think* it's thrush; It doesn't appear to be yeast. Could she have gotten a burn from eating something too hot and this is a spot where it's healed?

Ammie25
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

When my dd had thrush she had puffy white growths on her tongue, inside her cheeks and along her gumline. I tried to google this a little bit and search images and I have to tell anyone reading this not to google tongue images before dinner. I don't *think* it's thrush; It doesn't appear to be yeast. Could she have gotten a burn from eating something too hot and this is a spot where it's healed?

I know what you mean about not googling tongue images. Luckily, when I googled it, the first few images were similar enough, but had I scrolled any further...discustingness!!!

Well, i would think maybe it's a burn or something, but the thing is, I noticed this a few days ago, and it was a line going vertical down her tongue, so looking at it again, it appears to have grown...and that is why I am so concerned.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

The other simple explaination I came across was a Vitamin B12 shortage, which is hard to believe since she is breastfeeding, and have continued to take a Prenatal for my own well being as well as hers. So we'll see at the appt tomorrow!

ProudMama011613
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I have thrush and it was just one symptom of a very horrible burning in my nipples. No other symptoms in me or on my baby boy. Using the generic version of monistat is working for me. My advice would be to head to the doctors, Good luck mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)