Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting baby to take a bottle.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 18 Replies
I want to bottle feed just for my own personal reasons. So far my 10 week old has only had bottles the two or three times I've left her for a few hours. She didn't take them well. But if I offer her only bottles, no more breast, is there a possibility she will get the hang of the bottles?

Also we had her two month check up Friday and she is weighing in at a healthy 12lbs 10oz. The dr was shocked that I don't give her cereal or formula lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Is anyone else around to give bottles instead of you? Baby wants the real deal from you. You might also need to try several different bottles to find one she prefers. Are you going to be exclusively pumping or are you switching to formula?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
May we ask your reasons? You're just getting to the easy parts! :) We don't bash in here! :)

As in becoming an exclusively pumping mom or switching to formula?

If you want to EP, you must pump on a schedule to maintain supply. We've had quite a few EP moms in here. :) Totally doable!

If you want to switch to formula, I think it would be just replacing one feeding a week with formula until all nursing sessions are gone. Very slowly, so you cause as little trauma to yourself and baby as possible. (Mastitis, clogged ducts, etc).

Good job on making it a few months! You've given baby the best start possible! Kudos! :)
MOMMY2ACR
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Exclusively pumping and I have plenty of other help to give her a bottle, but everyone gets frustrated and just hands her off to me.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Is anyone else around to give bottles instead of you? Baby wants the real deal from you. You might also need to try several different bottles to find one she prefers. Are you going to be exclusively pumping or are you switching to formula?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Mine won't take a bottle with me in the house.
MOMMY2ACR
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I want to exclusively pump. I love nursing but I find that I'm spending too much time sitting in my chair nursing. That wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a toddler running around. And I have people who could help feed her if she took a bottle. No one is much help with feeding right now lol. I'd like to maybe have her nurse at night but bottles during the day would be better for us right now. I have a ring sling but I'm very petite (5'2 and 93lbs) and my 12lb Baby is hard to carry around in the sling. It's sad that I'm too weak to carry my own kid lol

Quoting MaryJarrett:

May we ask your reasons? You're just getting to the easy parts! :) We don't bash in here! :)

If you want to EP, you must pump on a schedule to maintain supply. We've had quite a few EP moms in here. :) Totally doable!

If you want to switch to formula, I think it would be just replacing one feeding a week with formula until all nursing sessions are gone. Very slowly, so you cause as little trauma to yourself and baby as possible. (Mastitis, clogged ducts, etc).

Good job on making it a few months! You've given baby the best start possible! Kudos! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Keep in mind, the only things that will be changing is you will spend even more time sitting down pumping. Nursing gets shorter and faster, pumping doesn't. Baby's start sleeping longer, the pump doesn't. You HAVE to pump around the clock, every 2 hours, for at least 20 mins.

It is up to you, but I'm not just trying to scare you, I did EP with my first, so I've done both.

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

I want to exclusively pump. I love nursing but I find that I'm spending too much time sitting in my chair nursing. That wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a toddler running around. And I have people who could help feed her if she took a bottle. No one is much help with feeding right now lol. I'd like to maybe have her nurse at night but bottles during the day would be better for us right now. I have a ring sling but I'm very petite (5'2 and 93lbs) and my 12lb Baby is hard to carry around in the sling. It's sad that I'm too weak to carry my own kid lol

Quoting MaryJarrett:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Try different bottles and it'll have to be others who do it. I went through 4 kinds of bottles before DD would take one. It ended up being the Playtex drop ins. I guess I have playtex-type nipples! Lol
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Ah, I'll let someone else step in. I'm not a fan of pumping. I only did it for work, and I ditched it as soon as I could. Lol :) I know you'd have to pump every 3-4 hours around the clock for certain amount of time though, so it may not save you much time. I don't know specifics. I think there is an EP group too for more opinions. Kellymom probably has tips. I know they have some info on the differences in pumped milk vs straight from the tap milk, so I think they have pumping tips. I think nursing at night is a good idea. A great compromise.

I know what you mean with babywearing! After my first I was under 100, around 95lbs until I get pregnant with my second, & I'm 5'3. I dropped to 90 after my second was born and had some tests runs but it's just me. I'm just small. I'm finally up to 110 and within the "normal" range but it takes so much to maintain it. If I stop watching what I eat, I start dropping.

I still use my ring sling but I like my woven wrap better. I'm going to make a meitai as soon as I get some bottom weight fabric to try too. I know target or Walmart has a $35 sash meitai that would probably be easier on you. My two are 19 months apart so they both nursed for quite a while. It's hard work, but I got good at nursing while doing pretty much everything I needed to do. An Ergo/Bobo/Tula/Beco would all be good choices too, if you'd like a more comfortable carrier.

Good luck! And great job!

Quoting MOMMY2ACR:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

mine never would It would have been nice at times but I was afriad if I forced it more they would not want to nurse. Babies love that cuddle time they get with mom. Just to encourage you. I had a 21 month old when I had my third baby. It's hard at first and someone always has to wait but it doesn't last forever. If you have people to help can they not help with the toddler?

MOMMY2ACR
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
They help a lot with her but I feel like I'm missing out on doing things with her. The best time is when both of them are content and we just sit and play but that doesn't happen too often.

Quoting Brandy85412:

mine never would It would have been nice at times but I was afriad if I forced it more they would not want to nurse. Babies love that cuddle time they get with mom. Just to encourage you. I had a 21 month old when I had my third baby. It's hard at first and someone always has to wait but it doesn't last forever. If you have people to help can they not help with the toddler?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN