Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Could there be something wrong with my milk??

Posted by   + Show Post
Dd is now 8 mo. Up until 6 mo, she was still nursing every 1 1/2 hours, even through the night. In needing more sleep, and more time with my toddler, since I stay home he's all I got. I tried the bottle. We experimented, a lot! I also logged it all, how much & when she ate, and my diet. She spit up a lot and was very gassy when nursing. On the bottle, she would refuse to take more than 2 oz of my milk at a time. Spit up every time, and woke a lot at night with gas. If I gave her formula, she'd down 4 oz, burp and be happy. She'd sleep better and not spit up at all. It couldn't have been dairy since I cut it out for a while and no change, plus the formula is milk based.
Any suggestions as to why she has such a hard time with my breast milk? I'm getting a little discouraged since this is supposed to be the best option for the baby, but it seems to not be for mine. (I've altered my diet several times to see if it was something I was eating)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Replies (11-18):
amyroosmom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

the same thing happened with my son he is 3 moths itturns out it was that i have very forceful let downs what my lactation consultant advised was to hold my son upright when feeding him like the foot ball hold and also to pump a little out prior to feeding him and to burp him evey time he paused eating  so  like 3 times each feeding  and it worked also avoid foods that make you gassy . hope it helps i also feed him about every 1.5 to 2 hours . good luck 

amyroosmom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

check out this website http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:breast-compression&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/#links

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Quoting Briangel:

Dd is now 8 mo. Up until 6 mo, she was still nursing every 1 1/2 hours, even through the night.
Normal.
In needing more sleep,
We recommend co-sleeping for that.
and more time with my toddler,
And a sling is required, or you have to send a child back. **grin** It's also quite normal at this point for toddlers to be "neglected" as in not the center of mom's attention. That's why eldest children are such great leaders, you know.
since I stay home he's all I got. I tried the bottle. We experimented, a lot! I also logged it all, how much & when she ate, and my diet. She spit up a lot and was very gassy when nursing.
That can be a letdown issue.
On the bottle, she would refuse to take more than 2 oz of my milk at a time.
Normal amount.
Spit up every time, and woke a lot at night with gas. If I gave her formula, she'd down 4 oz, burp and be happy. She'd sleep better and not spit up at all.
Formula is HEAVY... like stuffing her full of oils and gunk. When you stuff yourself on turkey you sleep, right? Formula is a lot less healthy. 
And infant waking is SIDS defense. I worry about babies that don't wake a lot.
It couldn't have been dairy since I cut it out for a while and no change, plus the formula is milk based.
Any suggestions as to why she has such a hard time with my breast milk? I'm getting a little discouraged since this is supposed to be the best option for the baby, but it seems to not be for mine. (I've altered my diet several times to see if it was something I was eating)

She's not... she's normal. It's not your milk but your expectations. Your description of her on breastmilk is normal human infant. Your description of her on formula... not so much. I'd be worrying seriously about SIDS.

Or invasions of the Teletubbies.

The fussier they are the better we like 'em. **grin**

EDITED TO ADD... readin through the rest, I'm very certain it's not your milk at all.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM
It sounds like let down issues. Even with the bottle of vreastmilk you can be mimicking the letdown issues by holding her leaning too far back with the bottle perpendicular to tge floor. Try leaning her up with the bottle nearly parallel to the floor and see if that helpa her gas issues. Or better yet, nurse her leaning back in a recliner or laying tummy to tummy in the bed.
Briangel
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Thank you for your input. I know dif things work for everyone all babies are different!
I guess for me, I don't want my son to feel neglected, and I don't want him to resent his sister because I couldn't read him bedtime stories or let him play outside or in the bath longer all because I'm always feeding his sister, or tending to her fussiness from gas.

And I guess I'm not that opposed to formula because my son was formula fed and he not only turned out fine, but im constantly told by his teachers how smart/advanced he is. He rarely gets sick, and he was never a chunky baby/kid. I have to ask- this isn't generated toward you but to all moms so opposed to formula for lack of nutrition, does that mean you never feed your kids fatty hot dogs, ice cream, or McDonalds? Cuz those aren't nutritious! I guess I ask that because I know someone who does feed their older kid those foods but looks down on me for trying formula.

And I guess my discription of her on formula doesn't sound bad to me because she eats every 3 hours and is happier. I have a friend who breastfeeds, and she eats every 3 hours, and sleeps through the night (8 months as well).
It may be my expectations, but I guess I'm finding it easier to feed a bottle and have a happier less gassy baby, than nursing frequently for long periods of time. I just hear all the stories of babies eating more efficient at this age, but she really isn't. I don't know if there's a way to teach her, or if she'll forever want to eat every 1 1/2 hours.
I do thank you for your input! I'm new to the group, and wish I found it sooner! Until this post I didn't know how normal/common it was for an 8 mo old to still nurse every 2hours! It's a little hard too because I have 1 good friend that bf's her lo, and besides that I have no support from anyone else in this area. My dh just keeps telling me to dry up and go to formula, but I'm really trying to make this work!!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Briangel:

Dd is now 8 mo. Up until 6 mo, she was still nursing every 1 1/2 hours, even through the night.
Normal.
In needing more sleep,
We recommend co-sleeping for that.
and more time with my toddler,
And a sling is required, or you have to send a child back. **grin** It's also quite normal at this point for toddlers to be "neglected" as in not the center of mom's attention. That's why eldest children are such great leaders, you know.
since I stay home he's all I got. I tried the bottle. We experimented, a lot! I also logged it all, how much & when she ate, and my diet. She spit up a lot and was very gassy when nursing.
That can be a letdown issue.
On the bottle, she would refuse to take more than 2 oz of my milk at a time.
Normal amount.
Spit up every time, and woke a lot at night with gas. If I gave her formula, she'd down 4 oz, burp and be happy. She'd sleep better and not spit up at all.
Formula is HEAVY... like stuffing her full of oils and gunk. When you stuff yourself on turkey you sleep, right? Formula is a lot less healthy. 
And infant waking is SIDS defense. I worry about babies that don't wake a lot.
It couldn't have been dairy since I cut it out for a while and no change, plus the formula is milk based.

She's not... she's normal. It's not your milk but your expectations. Your description of her on breastmilk is normal human infant. Your description of her on formula... not so much. I'd be worrying seriously about SIDS.

Or invasions of the Teletubbies.

The fussier they are the better we like 'em. **grin**

EDITED TO ADD... readin through the rest, I'm very certain it's not your milk at all.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Those of us who are opposed to formula have researched the risks associated with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Sounds more like overactive let down to me, epecially if it only happens when she nurses at the breast.  You can check out kellymom.com for more info

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Quoting Briangel:

Thank you for your input. I know dif things work for everyone all babies are different!
I guess for me, I don't want my son to feel neglected, and I don't want him to resent his sister because I couldn't read him bedtime stories or let him play outside or in the bath longer all because I'm always feeding his sister, or tending to her fussiness from gas.
Heh heh... you do know the first mistake was having a second child? **grin** I'm a member of the Big Siblings Club... spent years trying to convince my parents to send my little brother BACK to the adoption agency! Resentment will stem from the mere existence of the other child. It's OK. Ignore it. But unnderstand that you will never ever make your children completely happy. It's OK. NOT your job. Raising healthy responsible adults is the beginning and end of your task; happy is luck of the draw.
And I guess I'm not that opposed to formula because my son was formula fed and he not only turned out fine, but im constantly told by his teachers how smart/advanced he is. He rarely gets sick, and he was never a chunky baby/kid. I have to ask- this isn't generated toward you but to all moms so opposed to formula for lack of nutrition, does that mean you never feed your kids fatty hot dogs, ice cream, or McDonalds? Cuz those aren't nutritious! I guess I ask that because I know someone who does feed their older kid those foods but looks down on me for trying formula.
There's a difference between occasional snacks and living on them, you know? But this really goes beyond that to your supply.

And I guess my discription of her on formula doesn't sound bad to me because she eats every 3 hours and is happier. I have a friend who breastfeeds, and she eats every 3 hours, and sleeps through the night (8 months as well).
It may be my expectations, but I guess I'm finding it easier to feed a bottle and have a happier less gassy baby, than nursing frequently for long periods of time. I just hear all the stories of babies eating more efficient at this age, but she really isn't. I don't know if there's a way to teach her, or if she'll forever want to eat every 1 1/2 hours.
You can't teach them anything at this stage, really... they have to do it on their own. And the formula is detrimental to making that happen at the breast. But if this works for you then carry on, understanding that every bottle puts your supply in jeopardy.
I do thank you for your input! I'm new to the group, and wish I found it sooner! Until this post I didn't know how normal/common it was for an 8 mo old to still nurse every 2hours! It's a little hard too because I have 1 good friend that bf's her lo, and besides that I have no support from anyone else in this area. My dh just keeps telling me to dry up and go to formula, but I'm really trying to make this work!!
The danger with the formula is that you likely will just dry up and be on it full time. If you really want to make it work, then give some strong consideration to reducing the formula.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN