Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

worried she is not getting enough!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM
  • 14 Replies
Im worried my daughter is not getting enough milk! She is 8 weeks old today. She has enough wet nappies, i would say that each nappy i have changed today would be worth 2 bc they have all been very wet, however, her pee has been very dark, plus both me and hubby have both noticed crystals in her nappies. For the last week she has been almost impossible to get to sleep during the day, but i will say she sleeps very well at night- sometimes goes to bed as early as 7pm, and only wakes once during the night.
Her weight gain from birth has been very slow (im sorry i only know kg, not pounds....). She weighed 2.6kg at birth, got down to 2.4kg, at 16 days she weighed 2.620kg, at 3 weeks+2 days she weighed 2.740kg, at 3 weeks she was
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missyice
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:02 AM
At 5 weeks she was 3.050kg (sorry phone wouldnt let me type more)!! Any comments, suggestions? Oh and im a bit wary of taking stuff to boost supply bc i have already been getting lots of clogged ducts! So painfull!
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Does she wear cloth or disposables?
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Crytals can be from the diapers actually.  Are you feeding on demand?  How often is she feeding?  How long does she actively nurse?  Can you hear her swallowing?  How many actual wet nappies?  She wakes up once at night?  Does she nurse when she wakes up?  

missyice
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Disposable nappies, and we had wondered if crystals where from nappies. Yesterday she activly nursed for 3.5 hrs..... (and would have gone longer, but had to get her to dr for her shots) yes swallowing, swapping breasts, and when i stop to give her a burp she would do the whole head banging, and try to eat my sholder, so unless i am completely off with my ques, she is definitely saying she is hungry.....
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Yep we dealt with tge crystals with one of mine...i would switch diapers.....what about using cloth?

Usually babies loose weight ib the beginninf and start gaining. I would nit be concernes about the weight, as long as diaper counta are good, and you are nursing on demand. She sounds like a normal newborn :)

Quoting missyice:

Disposable nappies, and we had wondered if crystals where from nappies. Yesterday she activly nursed for 3.5 hrs..... (and would have gone longer, but had to get her to dr for her shots) yes swallowing, swapping breasts, and when i stop to give her a burp she would do the whole head banging, and try to eat my sholder, so unless i am completely off with my ques, she is definitely saying she is hungry.....

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
If shes having enough diapers shes getting enough.
She could be going through a growth spurt, begining teething.
if shes sleeping that well at night she has to get all her nutrition during the day so it's not suprising shes nursing more.
Off to do weight math
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Estimates
Birth 5lb12oz
Low 5lb5oz
2 weeks 5lb12oz
3 weeks 6lb1oz

Expected weight gain is 4oz a week from lowest weight. Baby is point on with gain.
missyice
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM
And yes feeding on demand. Usually her feeding lasts 1-1.5 hrs, yesterday was longer than normal, so yes i assume growth spurt. Thanks for the encouragement ladies! (Btw, yes 6 wet nappies a day)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Birth: 5 lbs, 11.7 oz

Lowest: 5 lbs, 4.6 oz

16 days: 5 lbs, 12.4 oz

23 days: 6 lbs, 0.6 oz

5 weeks: 6 lbs, 11.6 oz

Weight gain is perfect.  Lots of clogged ducts means that you have more than enough milk.  That should calm down as you hit supply regulation in the next few weeks.  It sounds like she's going through a growth spurt.  Keep an eye on the number of diapers that you're changing and if it does drop below the correct amount, that would be a reason to be concerned.  Crystals are likely the chemical gel in the diapers.

Is she pooping?  

missyice
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Pooping once a day, or every second day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN