Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT: Interesting Article about jarred baby food (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM
  • 19 Replies

Just thought I'd share this article here.

Not judging any Mother, but feel education is KEY!!

Please share your thoughts!

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2013/02/the-truth-about-baby-food-jars.html?m=1

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kona211
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I read this blog yesterday and forwarded it to a few people because I thought it was such thought provoking material.

Overall I'm just thankful that my 13 month old dd has never had any type of baby food. We mostly did BLW with her (tried a few homemade purees here and there) and she'll now eat pretty much anything you set in front of her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jolou
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I think it's interesting - but I also think that common sense is needed - there are some manufactured baby foods out there that are better than others, and it's all about balance. The mango puree I gave my 9 month old with her oatmeal this morning (homemade with rolled oats, and half bm/ half water), contained only mangoes and a dash of lemon juice. Maybe the cooking proceedure isn't ideal, but honestly - on balance it's ok. 90% of dd's diet is bm. I have a 17 hr a week job. About 20 hrs a week online classes. 5-6hrs a week in a voluntary role, 3 kids, a dog, house and husband to run. Something has to slide, and for me, one of those things is pureeing my own mangoes. We mostly do blw, although I do smush down some of our meals for her too - the odd pouch of fruit puree is no big deal.

The baby grade vegetable thing - no big deal, in fact it makes sense. I grow a lot of my own veggies - the carrots that come out misshapen and don't look great, or have pocking on the surface - I wouldn't set them on the table as they are - but they're great in soups or stews. To me, it's the same concept - the ones that look a mess are perfect if they're going to be mushed.

I wouldn't do the baby 'meals' anyway - have you tried one?! But the low meat content wouldn't bother me - probably under 10% of a 'meat meal' that I eat would typically contain meat (I'm carniverous, but only just!). The nutritional values - jarred baby foods are never meant to be a complete diet. They are for weaning baby to table foods, and are complementary to bm/formula - just for fun before one, remember - the bult of baby's nutrition is still expected to come from the milk. The toddler meals, yes, are rubbishy - but then so are the adult versions of the same thing.

The foreign bodies - definately gross, but whilst there are people who are dedicated to using only fresh foods, and that obviously is ideal, lets face it - if you use any canned or tinned foods at all, then those same standards apply to those foods. So if you are putting canned veggies in your pasta sauce (tinned chopped or a carton of seived tomatoes, canned beans, sweetcorn, whatever), then those foreign bodies could just as easily be in there (I once had a can of sweetcorn with a worm in). And in the factories that make cookies, or process flour to make your own cookies. So unless you're going to buy only fresh foods, and make everything from scratch (and lets not forget about pesticides. Maybe we should only eat food we've grown ourselves), then many of those risks are still there.

Don't get me wrong - I think the overal idea of the article - home-made is better - is right, and is, as a rule indicative of how I feed my kids, but I do think that a degree of common sense is to be applied, and so long as you're selective, and apply common sense, no great harm is going to occur. I've got bigger things to worry about!

It goes along with my general thinking that the odd McDonalds is not going to kill you. A McDonalds for every meal, just might.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

- Dr Suess

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Interesting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christineT79
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Nothing I didnt already know. Not because I did any research on the topic but because I'm full of lots of common sense. I understand how marketing works & it's honestly not any different than dog food to me.

gumeshoe
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in no rush to feed my son food, Hubby asked sometime recently and I told him not before 6 months, interest, etc. After finding out way back when the apple juice contained no apples, I am leary of stuff, because you don't know what they did to it. Pureed food is weird to me anyway. You can't see what's in it. They are expensive. I have been leaning towards the later and later. Maybe not at all.

Its like formula in a way. Big corporations making "SPECIAL" expensive food for my baby. I don't know when babies warrented a whole industry to feed them.

ria7
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Wow great read! Thanks for sharing!
Heymamashakeit
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM
We did baby led solids. Saves time, LOTS of money and the kids end up eating straight from my plate anyway.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Thank you for sharing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Can wait to read it when im on my computer....im a strong believer in fresh!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I do agree with you completely :D

Quoting jolou:

I think it's interesting - but I also think that common sense is needed - there are some manufactured baby foods out there that are better than others, and it's all about balance. The mango puree I gave my 9 month old with her oatmeal this morning (homemade with rolled oats, and half bm/ half water), contained only mangoes and a dash of lemon juice. Maybe the cooking proceedure isn't ideal, but honestly - on balance it's ok. 90% of dd's diet is bm. I have a 17 hr a week job. About 20 hrs a week online classes. 5-6hrs a week in a voluntary role, 3 kids, a dog, house and husband to run. Something has to slide, and for me, one of those things is pureeing my own mangoes. We mostly do blw, although I do smush down some of our meals for her too - the odd pouch of fruit puree is no big deal.

The baby grade vegetable thing - no big deal, in fact it makes sense. I grow a lot of my own veggies - the carrots that come out misshapen and don't look great, or have pocking on the surface - I wouldn't set them on the table as they are - but they're great in soups or stews. To me, it's the same concept - the ones that look a mess are perfect if they're going to be mushed.

I wouldn't do the baby 'meals' anyway - have you tried one?! But the low meat content wouldn't bother me - probably under 10% of a 'meat meal' that I eat would typically contain meat (I'm carniverous, but only just!). The nutritional values - jarred baby foods are never meant to be a complete diet. They are for weaning baby to table foods, and are complementary to bm/formula - just for fun before one, remember - the bult of baby's nutrition is still expected to come from the milk. The toddler meals, yes, are rubbishy - but then so are the adult versions of the same thing.

The foreign bodies - definately gross, but whilst there are people who are dedicated to using only fresh foods, and that obviously is ideal, lets face it - if you use any canned or tinned foods at all, then those same standards apply to those foods. So if you are putting canned veggies in your pasta sauce (tinned chopped or a carton of seived tomatoes, canned beans, sweetcorn, whatever), then those foreign bodies could just as easily be in there (I once had a can of sweetcorn with a worm in). And in the factories that make cookies, or process flour to make your own cookies. So unless you're going to buy only fresh foods, and make everything from scratch (and lets not forget about pesticides. Maybe we should only eat food we've grown ourselves), then many of those risks are still there.

Don't get me wrong - I think the overal idea of the article - home-made is better - is right, and is, as a rule indicative of how I feed my kids, but I do think that a degree of common sense is to be applied, and so long as you're selective, and apply common sense, no great harm is going to occur. I've got bigger things to worry about!

It goes along with my general thinking that the odd McDonalds is not going to kill you. A McDonalds for every meal, just might.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)