Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this a lip tie?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 35 Replies

I'll add another pic of his tongue in replies too. I ont think he's got s tongue tie but I'm thinking this is a lip tie. I have been reading that his latching problems, gassiness and spitting up could all be related to a tie. Is this what it looks like?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
Oh and I swear I wasn't tormenting him. Lol He was cranky already!
bebe_ju-rah

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It kinda looks like one, But there is no Blanching, therefor its not tight. And from what i know if they have a tounge tie they cant stick there tounge out. Do you have Over Active LetDown? Over Active LetDown will cause the problems your discribing too.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Looks like it.
All those symptoms go along with it.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I think so. Although I don't squirt out, he does start methodically gulping when I let down. The reason I'm suspecting the tie is BC he has a crappy latch. He often slurps while nursing, loses the nipple, can't hang on to a paci to save his life, it feels like he nurses on just my nipple as it is painful and pinches, I usually have a flattened nipple with a white crease after he nurses and he chomps down quite often (although NOT during let down).

Quoting PolishMamma2:

It kinda looks like one, But there is no Blanching, therefor its not tight. And from what i know if they have a tounge tie they cant stick there tounge out. Do you have Over Active LetDown? Over Active LetDown will cause the problems your discribing too.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I added the things he does that make me suspect a tie below. Those are all signs, right? I can literally hear him slurp in air and it travel to his belly during every nursing session.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Looks like it.

All those symptoms go along with it.

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to get it cut!!!!!
slvrbtrfly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It's definitely a lip tie, not sure about the tounge.  My son had one, once it was cut, his latch was noticeably better.

LovemyLevis
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Yes that definitely looks like a lip tie. My son had one. Another sign is sucking blisters. Do his lips get puffy and a white-ish color after sucking? That's how my IBCLC noticed my sons lip tie. My son had all the same symptoms as your son. We got his lip tie cut right before Christmas and it has all gotten better. His latch improved within hours of getting it cut, he was much less gassy and could finally take his pacifier. I also felt immediate relief! I suggest going into an ear nose and throat doctor to have them look at it. That is who can cut it for you. It is an incredibly simple procedure and its harder on the mom then it is the baby!
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
YES!! I didn't know what that was or that it was related! I called an ENT today but the earliest they can get him in is the 20th. :(

Quoting LovemyLevis:

Yes that definitely looks like a lip tie. My son had one. Another sign is sucking blisters. Do his lips get puffy and a white-ish color after sucking? That's how my IBCLC noticed my sons lip tie. My son had all the same symptoms as your son. We got his lip tie cut right before Christmas and it has all gotten better. His latch improved within hours of getting it cut, he was much less gassy and could finally take his pacifier. I also felt immediate relief! I suggest going into an ear nose and throat doctor to have them look at it. That is who can cut it for you. It is an incredibly simple procedure and its harder on the mom then it is the baby!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN