Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need some advise about if i should mix formula and breast milk/

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

Have you mixed the two together before? I have done it with my son before. Im just wondering, if i can do this, then how do i do it and how do i know if baby is getting enough of what it needs? just asking bc im pregnant again. How long does bm stay good for in freezer and can i put it in fridge? I know not to microwave it. Im planning on pumping and feeding baby by bottle so hubby can help me out at night...

If this is okay then what type of formula would u recomeend? 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
true-love-21
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

BUMP!

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't do it. Breastmilk lasts longer than formula if the whole bottle isn't taken while formula has to be dumped. If mixed you lose the good stuff too. Also, pumping and bottling isn't going to help at night. You'll have to be pumping when DH is giving the bottle. Pumping has never been worth it to me. DH helps in other areas with our babes:)

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, please disregard my reply that I just deleted, I totally misread your post lol!
Breastmilk and formula really shouldn't be mixed together in the same bottle, for numerous reasons. If hubby gives bottles, at any time, you NEED to pump for that missed feeding or else you risk supply issues, clogged ducts, and a breast infection called mastitis and also run the risk of baby getting nipple confusion/ bottle preference. There are tons of other things daddy can do to help out with baby. Bottles really are best for when you yourself are not physically there to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Is there a reason you're interested in mixing them? Breastmilk has everything baby needs and formula can constipate and block the absorption of vitamins and minerals available in mama milk.  

And like everyone said - you'll need to pump every single time baby gets a bottle so it doesn't really help at night.  What works for us is to have DH he up, change baby and bring her to me to nurse.

check out kellymom.com for times it's good in fridge and freezer.  

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I've never mixed them, even when I combo fed ds.

You know baby is getting enough if they are making enough diapers.

Theres a chart of how long bm is good for on kellymom.com

Exclusively pumping? That requires pumping every 2-3hrs around the clock. I did it for 6 months it's alot of work. if only for night time feedings you may find it's quicker and easier to nurse. As you'd have to get up and pump for every bottle feeding. Bottles should only be 2-3oz with a slow flow nipple baby burped every oz. that never changes

I don't see where you would need to use formula.

Quoting true-love-21:

Have you mixed the two together before? I have done it with my son before. Im just wondering, if i can do this, then how do i do it and how do i know if baby is getting enough of what it needs? just asking bc im pregnant again. How long does bm stay good for in freezer and can i put it in fridge? I know not to microwave it. Im planning on pumping and feeding baby by bottle so hubby can help me out at night...

If this is okay then what type of formula would u recomeend? 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Why mix them? Breastmilk is perfect and formula is nasty crap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
How old is baby and how far along are you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Just try bfing. U may like it. It can be tough at first but gets easier. I ff my older kids n bf my youngest so I can compare..lol.

Have him be the designated dish washer..lol instead or some other chore u loathe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I would not mix the two, simply because I'd want to maximize the breastmilk baby gets. If baby does not finish a bottle of breastmilk you can save it and offer it again at the next feeding. If there's any formula in the bottle, you'll need to toss any left overs. I would give all BM until I ran out, then use formula.

Are you sure you want to exclusively pump? It is a lot more work, and you lose a lot of the benefits breastfeeding provides.

I found it was not much help for me to pump and have dad give a bottle. I still had to pump for every feeding, so it was easier to just not deal with the pump and bottles and just nurse. Dad helped with everything else. If I needed a break I'd had off baby to him right after a good feeding. Night feeding was a breeze when breastfeeding.

Id encourage you to exclusively breastfeed for 4-6 weeks to get your supply established ( much harder to do with a pump) then consider adding pumping and bottles.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

This article explains some of the differences between breastfeeding directly and bottle feeding breastmilk. It includes info on maximizing success when exclusively or partially pumping and bottle feeding.

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/are-there-differences-between.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN