Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I am so miserable breastfeeding!!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 14 Replies
This is so frustrating. I'm in so much pain, my nipples are cracked wide open and bleeding, I can't get my daughter to latch on properly no matter what I do, when I do get her on she starts tugging anf pushing my breast away the entire feeding and she does this every feeding, all she wants to do is nurse and nurse, and she starts crying and rooting around every hour despite the fact that I'm making more than enough milk and despite the fact that she's eating for 25 to 35 minutes each time. I'm at my wits end with this! I've done everything her doctor told me to do, everything my lactation consultant suggested, and everything the books have told me, and I still can't get a proper latch. And I can't figure out why she's tugging on the breast once she's on. She pulls her head back so hard she often becomes unlatched and then screams. She's 12 days old, and I keep hearing just give it time, but I don't see how it could get better. I hurt so bad and I'm so stressed out over this that all I do is cry anymore and I can't calm myself when she's eating because I'm too busy trying not to scream out in pain. Ughh, I just need to vent my frustrations to someonne since if I try talking to friends or family they all tell me just to quit and I really don't want to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Nursing should not hurt. Have you seen a lactation consultant? What about an ent to check for tongue tie?
LovinMyBoys0509
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Yea, I've been to a consultant. She can get her to latch, but I can't even though I'm doing the same thing. I feel like such a failure...
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Does your hospital have a support group for breastfeeding moms? Check with the childbirth education dept. That group alone saved me. It really helped getting advice from 3 different IBCLCs and a dozen moms who'd been there and patted my back while I cried.

I agree you need to get the baby checked and double checked for tongue tie. And go to kellymom.com, make it your homepage, and read about oversupply/overactive letdown. Which I suspect us why she's pulling away and off. You're also knee-deep in the 3 week growth spurt which is a muther. :-(

Mama-Doe
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't give up!  Both you and the baby have to find your groove.  My oldest nursed constantly. Sometimes for literally hours! No joke!  Keep putting lanolin on your breasts and keep at it.  Your nipples will toughen up.  It may be easier said than done but try not to stress out.  I truly believe babies can sense our anxiety.  Good luck.

Eliots_momma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Laid back nursing worked for us.

We has a similar problem and a tt was to blame in our case. I would get her checked by an ent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovinMyBoys0509
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
This may be a stupid question, but what's an ent?

Quoting Eliots_momma:

We has a similar problem and a tt was to blame in our case. I would get her checked by an ent.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I was having similar problems. Lexi is three weeks and a few days now and we've finally got it down. I still dont particularly enjoy nursing but it's gotten better.
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Ear nose and throat dr.

Do you have a forceful letdown? Has baby been evaluated for a tongue tie?

Quoting LovinMyBoys0509:

Quoting Eliots_momma:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Did the IBCLC watch you latch her?  The IBCLC should be taking time to not only show you how to do it but watch how it goes for you.

Eliots_momma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Not a stupid question!

An ENT is an Ear, Nose, and Throat dr.

I will be honest with you. I HATED bf for about 5 months bc we had unresolved problems. It took a while for us to figure out what the problems were, then to fix them.

I am glad I stuck with it though. At 8 months Eliot is a champion nurser.

Ask questions. Get help. Maybe locate a lll group for help and support.

Quoting LovinMyBoys0509:

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN