Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Holy Nipple Pain Batman! **ETA**

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

My left nipple is so tender!  I noticed a few days ago there's a little skin tear at the base if the nipple.  I'm guessing from my son scraping his teeth across it when he pops off to look at something.

I've been putting bm on my nipple and letting it air dry as much as possible.  I thought it was because he's cutting 2 more teeth, but my right side is ok.

What is going on?  Could that one little break in the skin cause the entire nipple to be sore?  

*ETA* I found a nipple shield from the newborn days.  That did not go over well.  The tears were rolling down his face.  I'll try again when he's not so sleepy, but I'm afraid I'm just going to have to grit my teeth and curl my toes until this heals :(  

Update in reply as well.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
It could
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoPain
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I'm not sure have you tired using Lanosin SP I'm talking about the cream that you but on to help with healing Other then that I don't know what could be causing it but here is a bump so someone else can help

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Quoting MoPain:

I'm not sure have you tired using Lanosin SP I'm talking about the cream that you but on to help with healing Other then that I don't know what could be causing it but here is a bump so someone else can help

What's ironic is that I just threw away my lanolin!  I thought I wouldn't need it anymore since I haven't used it since he was a newborn.

MoPain
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Quoting MoPain:

What's ironic is that I just threw away my lanolin!  I thought I wouldn't need it anymore since I haven't used it since he was a newborn.

that sucks I gave mine away to my sister and then needed it the next week

CafeMom Tickers
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

It could.  Express some breastmilk at the end of each feeding and spread it over your nipple area, including the wound.  Let it air dry and then put your flaps back up.

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM

So I tried the nipple shield after he woke up from his nap.  Bad idea!  He bit down!  That hurt!  He also tried to move it away.

Will I be able to hand express the sore side until it heals more and just nurse off the right side?

kris0921
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Use a strong lanolin on it to help it heal quicker. Even if its an open sore it will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Don't ever throw that stuff away! I have a tube in my medicine cabinet that is pretty ancient and I love it on chapped lips and dry cuticles. I also needed it again for sensitives as my af and ovulation came back.

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Quoting MoPain:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN