Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm worried

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
So over the weekend I came down with a nasty bug. The only real symptoms were I was cold and shivering and I had a sore scratchy throat and really tired. Yesterday, little one was nursing like crazy, which I assumed meant growth spurt. Still might be. He also had trouble sleeping but was still pretty happy so I didn't get crazy worried. Today he's still nursing like crazy but his eyes are red and he's been fussy. Now I'm worried he caught my bug but I'm not sure how to tell if he did. He's been sleeping today but only for cat naps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PalmBeachLys
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Hi,

From what I understand, you can't pass sickness through your milk.  Even if he caught it some other way, you really can't give a baby anything other than infant Tylenol.  The best thing to do is keep an eye on his temperature.  It doesn't count as a fever until 101.  If that happens, call the pediatrician, and they will most likely tell you to give him Tylenol and monitor his temp.  I he doesn't have a temperature, don't worry about him being sick.  Babies go through all kinds of little phases and crankiness, and it should pass in a day or two.  Good luck!

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Thank you. :-) I'm not worried it got to him through milk but I wasn't sure if he might've caught it some other way and with how miserable it was, I don't want him to be miserable

Quoting PalmBeachLys:

Hi,

From what I understand, you can't pass sickness through your milk.  Even if he caught it some other way, you really can't give a baby anything other than infant Tylenol.  The best thing to do is keep an eye on his temperature.  It doesn't count as a fever until 101.  If that happens, call the pediatrician, and they will most likely tell you to give him Tylenol and monitor his temp.  I he doesn't have a temperature, don't worry about him being sick.  Babies go through all kinds of little phases and crankiness, and it should pass in a day or two.  Good luck!

MamaDee83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Babies get sick, and the best thing you can do (at least I think so) is to keep nursing and giving your little guy the antibodies and great nutrition that he needs to fight his flu/cold. Obviously keep a close eye on him and if there is anything that doesn't seem right, go to the doctor :-D Good luck!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
If his eyes seem irritated or goopy, you can put a drop or two of breastmilk in them. Also in his nose if it gets goopy.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I think he's okay, growth spurts apparently throw me for a loop. Lol he slept and nursed on and off for a few hours and woke up with a smile. :-)

Quoting MamaDee83:

Babies get sick, and the best thing you can do (at least I think so) is to keep nursing and giving your little guy the antibodies and great nutrition that he needs to fight his flu/cold. Obviously keep a close eye on him and if there is anything that doesn't seem right, go to the doctor :-D Good luck!

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
He gets it in his nose regularly anyway lol. The air is so dry here, I have to.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

If his eyes seem irritated or goopy, you can put a drop or two of breastmilk in them. Also in his nose if it gets goopy.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

If he caught your bug or not...no worries.  Just keep nursing and taking care if him.  If he's sick...he will either get better or give you some reason to all the doctor.  

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I hope for better lol :-)

Quoting IrishIz:

If he caught your bug or not...no worries.  Just keep nursing and taking care if him.  If he's sick...he will either get better or give you some reason to all the doctor.  

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll vote for getting better too lol

Quoting Starshine-bela:

I hope for better lol :-)

Quoting IrishIz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)