Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breast Feeding the Biting Baby

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hi All,

My boy is about to turn 8 months and has just started biting while he nurses. He has two teeth on the top and two on the bottom.  I've read and tried all kinds of advice, from a nice 'no biting that hurts mommy', saying no and putting him down, saying nothing and putting him down, and even smooshing his face into my breast once or twice.  I'm not going to pinch or flick or anything like that.  It doesn't seem like it's a game - he will laugh at me sometimes (which is really hard, especially if I'm in tears), and he does it early in the feeding - it's not because he's bored or full. He just doesn't seem to be getting it that biting and nursing don't mix.  Another difficulty is that he won't even take breast milk from a bottle (not that I really want him to get hooked on a bottle this late in the game) or a sippy cup.  At this point I feel like all I can do is wait it out, maybe he's cutting another tooth, but judging from the last two uppers, that could take a long time, and every nursing session for the last four days has ended in a bite.  I'm already starting to worry that he's not getting enough nutrition (he also refuses any food on a spoon, but will happily taste whatever finger foods he can).  I'm not sure if there are any other suggestions out there, maybe I'm just looking for some support, but I'll take whatever anyone has to give.  Thanks-

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Great info here....  When Baby Bites

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I'm thinking he may be teething. Are you doing anything to relieve the pain? Does he get solids separate from nursing? That could be another cause. Solids should only be given immediately after nursing. So if he bites, he shouldn't get solids either. They're not nutritional necessary anyway. He will not starve himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN