Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My breast is her pacifier!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 28 Replies

My baby is a little over 4 weeks old, I breastfeed 90% and supplement with 2 formula bottles a day. My baby girl always wants to be on the breast, shes not even suckling just sucking. She will eat when she wants, but just enjoys sucking and falling asleep or just sucking for comfort. I dont mind since im home from work for a few more months. But how do I get her to use the pacifier when shes not eating? She throws a huge fit if she cant be on the breast 24 7. Shes so smart. Its so hard leaving the house with her because she wants on the breast 24 7, not even to eat. Any advice would be great, please! Esp when I go back to work I plan to pump, but I dont want her to be so upset without getting the boobie!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepymommy87
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this
You're going to lose your supply sooooooo fast with that much supplementing. Any supplementing is gonna kill your supply. Babies nurse nonstop, it's what they do. It doesn't last forever, if there's no need for formula I'd stop. In order to build your supply baby needs to be constantly at the breast for the first six weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kiki2382
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM
If the constant sucking is too much for you and you REALLY want her to use a paci, you could try different types to find one she likes. Mine would only take the newborn soothie. But be cautious of use. It can be a tough habit to break. You don't want her to prefer it over you for comfort.
kiki2382
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Might also try your finger...
piwife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Why are you using formula? As to the pacifier. A pacifier is a replacement for the breast so what she is doing is normal and expected. My daughter is 9 mts and she still comfort sucks. Its normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmama11212
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
How come you are supplementing with formula if it seems your baby prefers the breast? Probably going through a growth spurt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beccahairlady
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Babies are supposed to nurse often and for comfort. It is how they build/maintain supply. If you want to keep breastfeeding, I would stop formula completely. It is not necessary.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Good that's what she's supposed to do!! Your breast is the  thing she's supposed to be using & a paci is a plastic replacement. I see no problems just a nromal baby.

BabyFruit Ticker

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Also are you pumping for the missed feedings when you give formula?? Becuase if not your supply will take a huge hit. (& hwo big are those bottles?? Should never be more than 3 oz)

BabyFruit Ticker

kabowenrn
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

My doctor suggested formula because she was borderline jaundice, her birth weight was much lower the second week, and she is so fussy 24 7 that formula fills her up and she doesnt cry and is happy. I plan to stop in a couple months when she gets her strength up, I feel she is such a tiny thing that sucking my breast tires her out to the point where she isnt getting enough. Yes I do pump frequently and save. She does prefer breast over bottle, always has. No nipple confusion for her. I give her about 3 ounces each bottle. Depends how much breastmilk she gets in before.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Quoting Beccahairlady: Babies are supposed to nurse often and for comfort. It is how they build/maintain supply. If you want to keep breastfeeding, I would stop formula completely. It is not necessary.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)