Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

baby cereal

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 6 Replies
So my Lo is turning 4 months in a couple weeks and that means 4 month check up abd my pedi is going to talk about baby cereal. I just want to know the facts going into the appointment so I can ask her the questions and to make the right decision.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I just smile and nod and do my own thing when I disagree with my doctor. No need to try to convince him/her. At least I don't feel the need. Although, my doctor also doesn't push me or badger me. She is more of a go-with-the-flow type doctor and has no problem with me disagreeing with her in the first place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The AAP now recommends that babies start food at 6 months and they have also now said that first food should NOT be cereal.  If your Pedi recommends cereal at 4 months they are going against their own organization.  If you don't want to do it and he/she recommends it I would point that out, as they may not even know.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

This!

Quoting SadieJames:

The AAP now recommends that babies start food at 6 months and they have also now said that first food should NOT be cereal.  If your Pedi recommends cereal at 4 months they are going against their own organization.  If you don't want to do it and he/she recommends it I would point that out, as they may not even know.

BabyFruit Ticker

ACrowsNest
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:13 PM

IF you do give LO cereal, make it at home. They add so much crap to the pre-made stuff, and making it at home is so easy and WAYYYY cheaper!

angellove1119
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Did you give your Lo cereal? And how do you make it?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM
We did not do cereal as babies before one year of age do not have the necessary enzymes to properly digest grain products. Also, the iron in commercial baby cereal binds the iron in breastmilk and keeps it from being absorbed, which can lead to anemia. Search starting solids at kellymom.comfor more information on good first foods.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)