Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ot: tips or tricks you could share

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 13 Replies
My dd is going to be 5 months old in a week well for about a month she has switched her schedule so she isn't going to bed until 1 or 2 then she will sleep a tad in the morning and try to take a long nap at like 1 for no longer than 3 hours. well what are some ways i can help her switch back or should i leave it im at a loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I'd leave it for now. Babies change schedules all the time. You sleep when she does.

Alternately don't let her nap. Babies need only so much sleep. If she's getting it in the daytime she won't take it at night. Fair warning.. it will probably make both of you miserable to mess with her self-imposed sleep pattern.

I'm a big fan of letting sleeping babies lie and sleeping yourself while they're at it. 

chrissydan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM
How about catnaps which she takes for about a half hour

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd leave it for now. Babies change schedules all the time. You sleep when she does.

Alternately don't let her nap. Babies need only so much sleep. If she's getting it in the daytime she won't take it at night. Fair warning.. it will probably make both of you miserable to mess with her self-imposed sleep pattern.

I'm a big fan of letting sleeping babies lie and sleeping yourself while they're at it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Are you implementing a bed time routine? Not a schedule. Like at every night we take a bath at 7:00. Then lotion, jammies, nursing/rocking. Last night he fell asleep about 7:45
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrissydan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Of course we do

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Are you implementing a bed time routine? Not a schedule. Like at every night we take a bath at 7:00. Then lotion, jammies, nursing/rocking. Last night he fell asleep about 7:45
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Then you're as close as possible to re-setting her sleep schedule. 

Up to you on the cat naps. Honest, I would not touch her sleep schedule in ANY way shape or form... let her do as she will and you sleep when she sleeps. It's less work for you that way.

Quoting chrissydan:

Of course we do

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

chrissydan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM
The other thing that's happening us she doesn't seem to like to sleep in her crib its either she will sleep in her swing for long periods or with me and i am nite a co-sleeping parent so i may try letting her sleep in her swing in my room ( her crib is in my room ad well)

Quoting gdiamante:

Then you're as close as possible to re-setting her sleep schedule. 

Up to you on the cat naps. Honest, I would not touch her sleep schedule in ANY way shape or form... let her do as she will and you sleep when she sleeps. It's less work for you that way.

Quoting chrissydan:

Of course we do

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I wish I knew the magical secret to this one. I've got three that still take naps, and the newborn is on the opposite schedule as the older two. I am one tired mama!
You might be able to get baby to change the pattern by waking up a few minutes earlier than normal, that way bedtime will be welcomed at an earlier time. Maybe fifteen minutes early for a couple of days, then fifteen minutes more after that, until you get that change.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

You could try a crib sidecar so she's close to you while still in her own space.

http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

How we "sidecarred" our crib, making cosleeping and night time parenting work for us! 

The following is how we turned our crib and  adult bed into a side car arrangement.

Each family should decide for themselves what sleeping arrangement is best and safest for them and their children.

This is what works for our family.

Please excuse typos and poor punctuation...I do most of my page work while NAK (nursing at the keys)  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why cosleep?

There are many benefits of cosleeping  Babies sleep better,  Mothers sleep better, Breastfeeding is easier, It's contemporary parenting, Babies thrive better, Parents and infants become more connected, Reduces the risk of SIDS

"Children who share sleep with their parents are actually more independent than their peers. They perform better in school, have higher self esteem, and fewer health problems. After all, who is more likely to be well-adjusted, the child who learns that his needs will be met, or the one who is left alone for long periods of time? McKenna suggests that it is confusing for a baby to receive cuddles during the day while also being taught that the same behavior is inappropriate at night." More here

Why a sidecar a crib?

There are many reasons why a family may use this set up as a form of cosleeping. Not enough room in the parent's bed,  or parents not comfortable with baby being directly in adult bed, for us, I loved the idea of cosleeping but having the a small baby near my husband isn't safe due to OSA ( obstructive sleep apnea) so this was the best of both worlds for us. When our toddler sleeps with us he sleeps between mommy and daddy, but as for our baby, there were genuine saftey concerns about his daddy rolling on him and not being aware (due to his OSA) or getting tangled in daddy's CPAP hose ( which provides continued air pressure to keep daddy's air ways open and breathing.)  

So this is what we did!

We started out with an ordinary crib, with just one side removed. ***If you are using a drop-side crib, remove the side that goes up and down.

We attached the frame of the crib to the mattress using bungee cords. I hooked them to the slats of the crib and ran them under our mattress and hooked them on the other side to the mattress handles of our adult size bed. This keeps the two mattresses from moving apart. We also have the crib pushed tightly between the wall and our bed.

See the following photos

Next we added "high density" foam we purchased at the craft store, with out it there is a gap between the crib mattress and the crib railing when the crib and adult mattresses are pushed together (from having the  crib side removed) this ensures the crib mattress is pushed TIGHT against the adult mattress. We've heard of others using folded blankets and bumper railings and pool noodles as well- I like the "high density" foam best because it's very firm.  I left it bare for the photo but as you will see in later photos I wrapped in tightly in a sheet.

Our next step may not be necessary for some....Our crib only has two height settings and neither brought the mattress level with our mattress...there are many ways to get the two mattresses level... from taking off the casters on the adult bed to adjust the height, some lay blankets, foam or plywood under the baby mattress to lift it up and some cribs have many heights so there isn't an issue at all. We were about to go with a layer of the "high density" foam (comes in many different widths) under the crib mattress when we realized we had a second crib mattress that was a hand me down from the boys' cousin so we used two mattresses and the height came out perfect.

This picture is with just one mattress.Way too low!

Here (below) with two mattress the height is just right ( flush with the adult mattress and the foam on the side)

Now baby has a place to sleep that is "separate" but still close to mommy. We will be able to enjoy the many benefits of co-sleeping and not fear that Steve's sleep apnea ( or more specifically his CPAP) will be a danger to baby.

The pad David is sleeping on in this photo, I made as a mattress protector to soak up diaper leaks and mommy milk leaks too.  It also covers the seam of the two mattresses that my boys seemed to like to sleep on- it's not a necessary addition but it is convenient

Night Nursing is a breeze!

Just have to throw this in for giggles.....

What Davey did with poor daddy's CPAP when he got a hold of it!

photo taken on a  vacation

The Little One pictured in the photos above is our second son, Davey (now 6 yrs old) we now have had two more bundles of joy to take their turns in the sidecar crib...

After the baby arrived, the sidecar provided more space for our little ones, so we could co-sleep with baby and toddler, until our toddlers were ready to make the transition to big boy beds.

Sammy sound asleep beside his mommy, right where he belongs!

Check out FAQ, Tips and photos from other sidecar families here

Also check the photo album

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below are some of my favorite links, I hope you find them helpful!

~~~Links~~~

read here for cosleeping saftey

and

Sleep Environment Safety Checklist

For more information on cosleeping and children's sleep issues, check out the following links

My favorite site Kellymom.com has lots of info on infant sleep and cosleeping

Sleep Sharing, Family Bed: Where Should Baby Sleep?

also

A MUST READ!!!

Is Your Baby sleeping through the night yet?

Excellent Article written by pediatrician Jennifer Rebecca Thomas, MD, FAAP, IBCLC

The Benefits of CoSleeping by

by Jennifer Cobrun courtesy of The Compleat Mother

Learn more about cosleeping

Co-sleeping-making it work and making it safe

By Elizabeth Pantley, author of Gentle Baby Care

Children Need Touching and Attention, Harvard Researchers Say

By Alvin Powell The Harvard University Gazette

Pillow Talk: Helping your Child Get a Good Night's Sleep 
By Paul M. Fleiss 
 Mothering Magazine Issue 96, September/October 1999

Why are nursing babies often night owls? by Kathy Kuhn, RN

"the sidecar crib emerges...as the most effective post-natal ward sleeping environment for infants in optimising both breastfeeding initiation and infant safety" Durham University Research News article

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I've seen some info about dangers of sleeping in the swing... has to do with cutting off air passages, I think. You might do a search on that to check.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting gdiamante:

I've seen some info about dangers of sleeping in the swing... has to do with cutting off air passages, I think. You might do a search on that to check.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)