Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Child eating too much? First time mom...

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello, quick question.  I exclusively breastfeed my baby.  At birth, he was 8 lb, 8 oz.  At one month old, he is now 10 lb, 14 oz.  Is it possible to be feeding him too much?  I know this is probably not the case (especially since all he gets is breastmilk).  The doctor didn't say anything about him being "too big" but I just thought I'd post the question here.  Thanks!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to overfeed an EBF'd baby. :) My ds was 8lbs9oz at birth, 7lbs14oz at discharge and 9lbs4oz at his 2 week well visit. So he had gained 1lb6oz in a week and a half. Yay for boobie juice! LOL

ETA: The growth will slow as they get older. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I worried about this, too. My son was 8-5 at birth and 12 lbs at one month.  People would ask if I was feeding him cream, lol.  He's now 10.5 months and 23 lbs.

I guess we grow big, healthy boobie babies!  Breastfeeding is awesome!

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Chances are pretty good that you have an oversupply right now.  As your supply regulates, that huge weight gain will slow down a bit.  We want to see an average of 4-8 oz per week gained from the lowest weight.  That's an AVERAGE, so some some weeks/months may be more than that and some may be less.  No worries. :)

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I very much agree that you probably have oversupply and all will regulate soon. Before you know it, the weight gain will slow down, stop, or you'll even see some loss between appointments.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cupcake2819
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the advice, ladies!  I really feel blessed that my first attempt at breastfeeding is going so well!  I love it!

eema.gray
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My son was born 8 pounds 7 ounces.  Dropped to 7.13 before we were discharged.  At a month old, he weighed 12 pounds even.  :-D  By six months, he weighed 22 pounds.  At a year, he still weighed 22 pounds.  Babies who grow fast early on tend to stop gaining weight at some point while motor skills develop.  :-)

The only thing that might possibly be wrong is if you have a bit of oversupply going on.  Is baby gassy, does he have green poops, lots of them, does he click when he's nursing?

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Babies cannot overeat directly from the breast. They CAN overeat from a bottle no matter what's in it. If you're  feeding straight from the breast no worries. If you're bottle feeding no more than 3 oz bottles every 3 hrs.

BabyFruit Ticker

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My 2 month old weighs over 12 lbs right now.  (:  He is perfect.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM
My babies did the same thing. My third baby didn't tolerate the oversupply because of reflux so his gain slowed to more normal amounts after I began block feeding.

Quoting eema.gray:

My son was born 8 pounds 7 ounces.  Dropped to 7.13 before we were discharged.  At a month old, he weighed 12 pounds even.  :-D  By six months, he weighed 22 pounds.  At a year, he still weighed 22 pounds.  Babies who grow fast early on tend to stop gaining weight at some point while motor skills develop.  :-)

The only thing that might possibly be wrong is if you have a bit of oversupply going on.  Is baby gassy, does he have green poops, lots of them, does he click when he's nursing?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

THIS!!!

Quoting K8wizzo:

Chances are pretty good that you have an oversupply right now.  As your supply regulates, that huge weight gain will slow down a bit.  We want to see an average of 4-8 oz per week gained from the lowest weight.  That's an AVERAGE, so some some weeks/months may be more than that and some may be less.  No worries. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)