Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nursing during Vaccinations + 1

Posted by   + Show Post
Isabella is 2 months and going in for her checkup and first round of vaccinations this afternoon. I read that nursing during that time can help calm them a little more.
Have any of you ladies done this?
Did it make a difference that you noticed?

Also...When is the average time that my milk supply will regulate?
I pump once a day, if she is awake she gets a bottle of expressed milk.
During that session I can still easily get 6 to 9 ounces. You ladies made this sound way off and wrong before. I'll nurse her the rest of the day (unless we're in a place I don't feel comfortable NIP) and she'll empty both breasts, and they will fill up right away to where I fell like she needs to eat again...no less that an hour later.

Thanks for any answers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
CRFstffrd
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Hmm...they let me nurse her today.
It didn't really help, but she nursed more after and it help her relax after.
We heard twin 1 year old boys in the next room.
They sounded like they were in hell

Quoting melindabelcher:

This was 3-5 years ago before I knew better about asserting my rights. And the office said no nursing or bottles because they wanted the baby laying flat on the exam table and a concern for choking from the crying.

Quoting CRFstffrd:

I don't understand how a drs office can tell you , you can't nurse.

I thought is was legal to nurse anywhere.

Did they give you another reason...a good reason?

The only problem is...I always feel full...

But I think I can live with that =)

Thank for your answers

Quoting melindabelcher:

When we vaccinated we didn't nurse during vaccines, the office didn't allow it.

Your outputs are very high. some ppl have an oversupply, which is sounds like you do. if theres no problems then nothing to worry about

christineT79
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It took me 5 months to totally regulate my milk. Before that I would wake up engorged & leaking.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

No biting here.

As to changes... it's normal to see pump amounts decline over time.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I nursed through shots. The difference is amazing. They stop nursing for a moment when the shot happens and they might tear up or make a face but then continue nursing ( at a little more frantic pace). It seems to really help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Thats awsome that you are able to pump that much, the more the better. It is a high volume, but if you got it then, you got it. As long as the over supply isnt causing you problems like OALetDown, Or engorgment then, yay! I didnt nurse my DS while he got his Vacc. But I did nurse right after, & it made the bad stuff go away. By the way Be Strong, Because its going to hurt your feelings soooo bad to se your little one go through that the first time...

CRFstffrd
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Her getting the shots crying wasn't as hard for me to handle as the after effect crying. A few hours after, she started screaming, and noone but me and "the boob" could stop her. She was screaming so hard that it took almost a half hour for her to calm down enough to take an actual gulp. And of course, I started crying with her. That was hell

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Thats awsome that you are able to pump that much, the more the better. It is a high volume, but if you got it then, you got it. As long as the over supply isnt causing you problems like OALetDown, Or engorgment then, yay! I didnt nurse my DS while he got his Vacc. But I did nurse right after, & it made the bad stuff go away. By the way Be Strong, Because its going to hurt your feelings soooo bad to se your little one go through that the first time...

lilybud1120
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
I don't vaccinate....
graycalico
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM
They don't have to let you during shots. I don't vax anymore but the ped I go to right now doesn't let mom's even hold their babies during them. Not cool.

Quoting CRFstffrd:

I don't understand how a drs office can tell you , you can't nurse.

I thought is was legal to nurse anywhere.

Did they give you another reason...a good reason?

The only problem is...I always feel full...

But I think I can live with that =)

Thank for your answers

Quoting melindabelcher:

When we vaccinated we didn't nurse during vaccines, the office didn't allow it.

Your outputs are very high. some ppl have an oversupply, which is sounds like you do. if theres no problems then nothing to worry about

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Yeah my dd would just flat out get pissed & cry, but my ds he would look at me for a few seconds & then cry, like why is this happening? Thats what would make me feel so bad! 

Quoting CRFstffrd:

Her getting the shots crying wasn't as hard for me to handle as the after effect crying. A few hours after, she started screaming, and noone but me and "the boob" could stop her. She was screaming so hard that it took almost a half hour for her to calm down enough to take an actual gulp. And of course, I started crying with her. That was hell

Quoting PolishMamma2:

b.futlz
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
They called me that here lol

Quoting OBImomma:

I did/ do not nurse during shots.

I produce A LOT of milk. When my dd1 was in the NICU they referred to me as a milk goddess. I was told I pumped enough in one session to feed the entire NICU. I'VE BEEN LIKE THAT WITH ALL 3 kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)