Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing during Vaccinations + 1

Posted by   + Show Post
Isabella is 2 months and going in for her checkup and first round of vaccinations this afternoon. I read that nursing during that time can help calm them a little more.
Have any of you ladies done this?
Did it make a difference that you noticed?

Also...When is the average time that my milk supply will regulate?
I pump once a day, if she is awake she gets a bottle of expressed milk.
During that session I can still easily get 6 to 9 ounces. You ladies made this sound way off and wrong before. I'll nurse her the rest of the day (unless we're in a place I don't feel comfortable NIP) and she'll empty both breasts, and they will fill up right away to where I fell like she needs to eat again...no less that an hour later.

Thanks for any answers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (21-24):
Jademom07
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That is what is called a vaccine reaction.  With my first, I nursed thru them too.  With my last, I rejected all vaccines based on my own research and discomfort with the ingredients in them.

Quoting CRFstffrd:

Her getting the shots crying wasn't as hard for me to handle as the after effect crying. A few hours after, she started screaming, and noone but me and "the boob" could stop her. She was screaming so hard that it took almost a half hour for her to calm down enough to take an actual gulp. And of course, I started crying with her. That was hell

Quoting PolishMamma2:

Thats awsome that you are able to pump that much, the more the better. It is a high volume, but if you got it then, you got it. As long as the over supply isnt causing you problems like OALetDown, Or engorgment then, yay! I didnt nurse my DS while he got his Vacc. But I did nurse right after, & it made the bad stuff go away. By the way Be Strong, Because its going to hurt your feelings soooo bad to se your little one go through that the first time...

aniters
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I nurse him afterwards :) he relaxes and usually falls asleep.

I've always been able to pump about 5-6 ounces out of each breast. My breasts feel full most of the time. My son is 14 months old and I feel like I still have too much milk.
lizzieiguana
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:39 AM

your milk supply will regulate when it ... um regulates?

your daughter eats when she is hungry. you are nursing as much as you can while comfortable, and bottle feeding in public. That's youre' choice. if you can pump 6 to 9 ounces I have to say hats off to you. after DS was a few months old, I couldn't get more than 2 ounces AT BEST. Keep going. freeze it. it is gold. if you ever have an accident or have to go for surgery - CONTACT LA LECHE LEAGUE INSTEAD OF WEANING ENTIRELY. my friend lost her bond with her baby at such a young age because the doctor told her medications would not be 'healthy' for her baby. She found out later through LLL that this was NOT TRUE - but just to cover the doctor's butt, and used totally unmindfully and just out of hand. So awful!

So freeze that stuff in a safe deepfreeze, and continue with what you are comfortable with.

If your daugther is uncomfortable with vaccinations, perhaps going to a delayed schedule would be more healthy for her. Otherwise, if your pedi barks about nursing through vaccinations, get a new pedi! It may or may not help.  A needle is a needle is a needle. It's going to hurt her no matter what. And some docs are really into just jab and go. It doesn't hurt THEM! ugh.

sorry, reread and realized missed part of the question. yes nursing through vaccinations can help the baby.

MisfitInTN
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM
We dont vaccinate
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN