Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Finally some success!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 9 Replies
We went to a breast feeding class this morning. And I finally was able to get her to latch correctly on my own. For some reason she won't latch on the left side unless she's in the football hold, which isn't the most comfortable, but she's not killing my nipples. So my new question, because I forgot to ask... They said don't watch the clock... So do I nurse until she's finished on one side then switch, or do a certain amount of time per breast, or is there something I'm overlooking? I know a lot of it right now is pacifying which is fine, I just want to make sure my supply comes in right and I don't mess things up or self sabatoge this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Yes--nurse on one side until she unlatches, then burp and offer the other. She may or may not take it. Either way it's fine, just offer the fuller breast first for the next feeding. She should go through 6-8 diapers in 24 hours. Pooping will vary with age (how old is she now?). In the beginning she may poop in almost every diaper; as she get older, poops will be fewer but greater in quantity. Feel free to come back and ask anything you need to!

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Quoting mrswhite417:

We went to a breast feeding class this morning. And I finally was able to get her to latch correctly on my own. For some reason she won't latch on the left side unless she's in the football hold, which isn't the most comfortable, but she's not killing my nipples.
That's fine.
So my new question, because I forgot to ask... They said don't watch the clock...
Correct. Clocks in little tiny pieces on the ground.
So do I nurse until she's finished on one side then switch,
Yes.
or do a certain amount of time per breast,
NEVER! **smile** No clocks.
or is there something I'm overlooking?
The first option was the correct one. Side one till baby comes off on his own. Burp, offer side two. Repeat.
I know a lot of it right now is pacifying which is fine, I just want to make sure my supply comes in right and I don't mess things up or self sabatoge this time.

No timing. Baby drives the bus... follow his lead and you cannot go wrong. 

mrswhite417
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Thank you! So if she nurses, comes off, attempts to burp, nurses 2nd side, comes off, attempts to burp, and starts rooting again... Go back to first side?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mrswhite417:

We went to a breast feeding class this morning. And I finally was able to get her to latch correctly on my own. For some reason she won't latch on the left side unless she's in the football hold, which isn't the most comfortable, but she's not killing my nipples.
That's fine.
So my new question, because I forgot to ask... They said don't watch the clock...
Yes.
The first option was the correct one. Side one till baby comes off on his own. Burp, offer side two. Repeat.
I know a lot of it right now is pacifying which is fine, I just want to make sure my supply comes in right and I don't mess things up or self sabatoge this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswhite417
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM
She's 6 days old. (:

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Yes--nurse on one side until she unlatches, then burp and offer the other. She may or may not take it. Either way it's fine, just offer the fuller breast first for the next feeding. She should go through 6-8 diapers in 24 hours. Pooping will vary with age (how old is she now?). In the beginning she may poop in almost every diaper; as she get older, poops will be fewer but greater in quantity. Feel free to come back and ask anything you need to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yes you keep going back & forth until she's finished.

Quoting mrswhite417:

Thank you! So if she nurses, comes off, attempts to burp, nurses 2nd side, comes off, attempts to burp, and starts rooting again... Go back to first side?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mrswhite417:

That's fine.
Yes.

BabyFruit Ticker

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yep. Back and forth till she doesn't want any more. And expect her to want more again in a short period of time. That too is normal.

Basic rule: Follow the baby's cues. She does know what she's doing. **grin** Instinct is a marvelous taskmaster.

mrswhite417
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM
We are getting there (: I messed up so much with my daughter and let people get to me. So now I'm trying not to second guess myself. (:

Quoting gdiamante:

Yep. Back and forth till she doesn't want any more. And expect her to want more again in a short period of time. That too is normal.

Basic rule: Follow the baby's cues. She does know what she's doing. **grin** Instinct is a marvelous taskmaster.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Nurse on one side until she comes off on her own, burp her, and then offer the other side.

catholicmamamia
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Quoting K8wizzo: Nurse on one side until she comes off on her own, burp her, and then offer the other side.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)