Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My experience at Olive Garden

Posted by   + Show Post

Last Saturday my SO and I went to Olive Garden with our 7 month old son to celebrate our friend's sisters' birthday.

We got there and all of use sat down.

About 1/2 into it my son started getting hungry.

I went out to a waitress and said that I need to breastfeed is there a place where i can?

She said maybe the bathroom.

I just looked at her blankly.

She said that she would go get a manager.

A nice hostess came out instead and I explained to her if there was a place where i could breastfeed my son.

There was an empty table in the corner and I sat in the corner to breastfeed.

Being a Saturday evening, Olive Garden was so busy that the waiting time was 45 minutes. But that hostess seem to have understood and seem to have related because she said to my son, enjoy your food.

So she made the other customers wait to be seated so i could take 20 minutes to feed my son.

I thought that was very thoughtful of her to do and I've never experienced anything wonderful like that before.

When i was done i let her know so she could sit the other customers.

I thanked her and told her how much i appreciate what she did for us.

she said no problem.

maybe i should have tipped her?

maybe i should do something else to show her that i appreciate her?

but i don't know her name.

or maybe i should just appreciate it and let it go?

what would you have done to show that you appreciated what she did?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
mama_l
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Why didn't you feed baby at your table??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Would have just bfed at my table with a cover but that's great anyhow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This.

Quoting mamabens:

I don't know because I would have never asked for another place to feed my child, I would've done it where I was. Maybe a small tip would have been ok....

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

baquick
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm just asking, not bashing...
Why not feed your child at the table?
Since you asked for a place to nurse, where did you expect her to direct you? I have never seen a restaurant with a specific place for breast feeding.

But I'm glad you had a positive experience.
:-)
bamamommy2009
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:52 PM

that was wonderufl of her! i would let the manager know what impression she left on you, some places like it when you send stuff to corporate about your experience and the server or hostest will get a special reward or regonistion wiht the restruant...

christineT79
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I would call the resturant & ask to speak to the manager & tell them what an amazing hostess or waitress she was. Mabey she'll get a raise. Also call corporate & tell them the same thing.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see why you asked anyone to begin with (??) but I'm glad you had a good experience. I wouldn't have done the same as you (I would've nursed right where I was) but *if* I had, I would have definitely tipped her. She didn't have to make accommodations for you at all, especially during such a busy time, when *legally* you were fine where you were, and as long as you weren't harassed then they did their part.  

Maybe go back up there and describe her with a thank you card and some chocolates? It was VERY nice of her. :) I once bought chocolates for a pediatric phlebotomist for treating my babies so good. Everyone likes that. ;) 

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You can call the restaurant manager and corporate with a positive report. They always hear the bad stuff, it'd be nice for them to hear the good too. 

Oh, and if they have a public page (like facebook) you can write a public thank you. 

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't get how a table in the corner would be much different than the table with your family, especially if the restaurant was busy...? 

AngryBob
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm with the others - that was very rude of you. It gives breast feeding mothers a bad name, how we shove our boobs in other people's faces, and make them wait longer to eat, that kind of thing. And then you didn't even tip her! Please, please, please do not ever do that again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)