Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My experience at Olive Garden

Posted by   + Show Post

Last Saturday my SO and I went to Olive Garden with our 7 month old son to celebrate our friend's sisters' birthday.

We got there and all of use sat down.

About 1/2 into it my son started getting hungry.

I went out to a waitress and said that I need to breastfeed is there a place where i can?

She said maybe the bathroom.

I just looked at her blankly.

She said that she would go get a manager.

A nice hostess came out instead and I explained to her if there was a place where i could breastfeed my son.

There was an empty table in the corner and I sat in the corner to breastfeed.

Being a Saturday evening, Olive Garden was so busy that the waiting time was 45 minutes. But that hostess seem to have understood and seem to have related because she said to my son, enjoy your food.

So she made the other customers wait to be seated so i could take 20 minutes to feed my son.

I thought that was very thoughtful of her to do and I've never experienced anything wonderful like that before.

When i was done i let her know so she could sit the other customers.

I thanked her and told her how much i appreciate what she did for us.

she said no problem.

maybe i should have tipped her?

maybe i should do something else to show her that i appreciate her?

but i don't know her name.

or maybe i should just appreciate it and let it go?

what would you have done to show that you appreciated what she did?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Just to add.. I've been in Olive Gardens that have a lounge area in the ladies room, separate from the sinks and toilets. Maybe there was an area like that that the waitress was referring to. 

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

i wasn't with family.

i was with friends and HER family and i didn't want to breastfeed in front of them just in case they ended up feeling uncomfortable.

the table i sat at was empty and i was facing the corner.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

I don't get how a table in the corner would be much different than the table with your family, especially if the restaurant was busy...? 

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM

because i am afraid of what others might think if i were to have breastfed in front of them.

they weren't family.  they were my friends family.

if they were my family i would have done it right there.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting vinalex0581:

Last Saturday my SO and I went to Olive Garden with our 7 month old son to celebrate our friend's sisters' birthday.

I went out to a waitress and said that I need to breastfeed is there a place where i can?

Why not nurse right where you were? Most of us would have done precisely that.

Good for you.

A nice hostess came out instead and I explained to her if there was a place where i could breastfeed my son.

Being a Saturday evening, Olive Garden was so busy that the waiting time was 45 minutes. But that hostess seem to have understood and seem to have related because she said to my son, enjoy your food.

So she made the other customers wait to be seated so i could take 20 minutes to feed my son.

I thought that was very thoughtful of her to do and I've never experienced anything wonderful like that before.

she said no problem.

I'd have done precisely what you did. You were fine. You can send a note to the restaurant if you want. Good on you for not letting yourself be shunted to a bathroom and good on her for accomodating you!

I wouldn't have bothered asking for a separate place, though. I'd have nursed at the table with the family. Did it many times, in fact. Even when eating with chopsticks!

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:09 AM

the olive garden that we have doesn't have a lounge area.

so you are lucky that you have that.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Just to add.. I've been in Olive Gardens that have a lounge area in the ladies room, separate from the sinks and toilets. Maybe there was an area like that that the waitress was referring to. 

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
You're doing good mama! I'm glad they helped you out. I would definitely call corporate and let them know. And no one had to wait an extra 20 minutes for you. While I'm that annoying one who doesn't care where or use a cover, I understand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I have to ask this & I know it will come off as smart assed but please know it's not intended that way at all. Would you have been afraid to bottle feed in front of them?? Breastfeeding is NO different, it's just feeding. I always think of it that way, If I'll bottle feed in front of someone I'll breastfeed in front of them.

Quoting vinalex0581:

because i am afraid of what others might think if i were to have breastfed in front of them.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting vinalex0581:

Good for you.

she said no problem.

I'd have done precisely what you did. You were fine. You can send a note to the restaurant if you want. Good on you for not letting yourself be shunted to a bathroom and good on her for accomodating you!

I wouldn't have bothered asking for a separate place, though. I'd have nursed at the table with the family. Did it many times, in fact. Even when eating with chopsticks!

BabyFruit Ticker

vinalex0581
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

i get what you are saying but you know not everyone looks at it that way.

when you bottle feed, you don't have your breasts exposed.

Quoting mamabens:

I have to ask this & I know it will come off as smart assed but please know it's not intended that way at all. Would you have been afraid to bottle feed in front of them?? Breastfeeding is NO different, it's just feeding. I always think of it that way, If I'll bottle feed in front of someone I'll breastfeed in front of them.

Quoting vinalex0581:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting vinalex0581:

Good for you.

she said no problem.

KenneMaw
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Since you took up a table, you probably should have tipped the waiter who missed out on a full table. Also, sending a nice letter to her and the manager would be great :-)

piwife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Well that was nice of the waitress. I personally would have nurse right then and there, but then again I really don't give a crap about other people or their opinions on me nursing in front of them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Nice of the Waiter. I would have nursed at my table. I do it all the time when out to dinner.  I don't care what other people think because I am feeding my child.  I use a cover though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN