Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

illness and bf

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 6 Replies
I've not stopped breastfeeding but I'm quite ill. I'm running a fever now. I know she's been getting exposed through my milk but what is the chance of her getting sick from it too? I've noticed she's sneezing a lot but she does that pretty often anyways. She is only 5 days old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM
3 moms liked this

She's NOT exposed to the illness through your milk. She's exposed to it just being around you. Your milk is the BEST thing for her while you're sick because it provides antibodies to protect her from what you have. If she does get sick, it will most likely be more mild and she'll get better quicker.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM
^^^ yes, all that. :-). And healthy new babies are pretty sneezy, just keeping their noses super clear since they can only breathe through their noses.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Just keep nursing and keep yourself hydrated. I just went through a nasty bug that thankfully my little one didn't catch. But nursing will protect her so if she gets it, her little body is already prepared to fight it. hope you feel better
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM

^^Everything above.  Keep yourself hydrated and continue to nurse on demand.

GwenGray
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

this exactly. BF your baby while you are sick is the best thing you can do for baby!!

Quoting aehanrahan:

She's NOT exposed to the illness through your milk. She's exposed to it just being around you. Your milk is the BEST thing for her while you're sick because it provides antibodies to protect her from what you have. If she does get sick, it will most likely be more mild and she'll get better quicker.

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

usmcwife327
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
This! And all of that! And if she's only 5 days old she's still got a healthy dose of your immunities from the womb so keep at it. Hope you feel better soon!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

^^^ yes, all that. :-). And healthy new babies are pretty sneezy, just keeping their noses super clear since they can only breathe through their noses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN