Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is my low calorie intake going to effect my milk supply?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

I know I will probably get bashed for letting this get to me and being "weak minded", but my fiancee of 2 years just cheated on me. We have split and I'm unable to hold anything down. I am physically ill. I have been trying to eat, but every time I get that "stomach flu" like feeling and am running to the bathroom. It is making me miserable.
I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old. I've managed to keep my cool, other than the vomiting and stomach pain, for my baby. But am very worried that this lack of food will effect my milk supply. I'm trying to force myself to eat, but it isn't much help. I am drinking a ton of water, though. Is my supply at risk?  

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

No reason to bash you & no we don't bash on this group.(bashing is defined as name calling). As long as you keep yourself hydrated no it shouldn't affect your supply although try to eat small meals to try to keep it down.

BabyFruit Ticker

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LovemyLevis:

I'm sure you will get bashed for this but don't let them get to you! People say some horrible things on here!   Not in THIS group! It isn't tolerated here.

Yes it will affect your supply.  No, it will NOT.  Breast feeding moms are supposed to eat 300-500 extra calories a day.  This is for the MOTHER'S health, not her milk supply.  You just need to keep trying to eat. I can't imagine the pain you feel going through all this but try to focus of the positive, your sweet 5 month old. Time heals all wounds. I know that doesn't help and no matter what any one says you need to find the strength inside you to over come this and be a good mom to your little one. Maybe you could try some anti nausea meds, like ones the recommend while pregnant.

I wish you well and I'm so sorry you have to go through all this.

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I'm expecting it, but I can't help it. Thank you. I may try some nausea meds, like Zofran.

Quoting LovemyLevis:

I'm sure you will get bashed for this but don't let them get to you! People say some horrible things on here!

Yes it will affect your supply. Breast feeding moms are supposed to eat 300-500 extra calories a day. You just need to keep trying to eat. I can't imagine the pain you feel going through all this but try to focus of the positive, your sweet 5 month old. Time heals all wounds. I know that doesn't help and no matter what any one says you need to find the strength inside you to over come this and be a good mom to your little one. Maybe you could try some anti nausea meds, like ones the recommend while pregnant.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

THIS!!!  Hydration is the key to keeping up your milk supply. Keep trying to eat when you can, but you can stop worrying about your supply as long as you're not dehydrated.

(((HUGS)))

Quoting mamabens:

No reason to bash you & no we don't bash on this group.(bashing is defined as name calling). As long as you keep yourself hydrated no it shouldn't affect your supply although try to eat small meals to try to keep it down.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I don't know...but I'm sorry! ((Hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you very much. I feel at peace now at least about that. :)

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting LovemyLevis:

I'm sure you will get bashed for this but don't let them get to you! People say some horrible things on here!   Not in THIS group! It isn't tolerated here.

Yes it will affect your supply.  No, it will NOT.  Breast feeding moms are supposed to eat 300-500 extra calories a day.  This is for the MOTHER'S health, not her milk supply.  You just need to keep trying to eat. I can't imagine the pain you feel going through all this but try to focus of the positive, your sweet 5 month old. Time heals all wounds. I know that doesn't help and no matter what any one says you need to find the strength inside you to over come this and be a good mom to your little one. Maybe you could try some anti nausea meds, like ones the recommend while pregnant.

MaryLu86
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It shouldn't hurt your supply. Make sure to drink plenty of water though! I'm sorry you are going through that :( I hope everything gets better for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it will take a long time before it will affect your supply. Stay hydrated and do your best. Try small snacks instead full meals. 

I understand, I'm the same way. I cannot eat when I'm upset and will have trouble keeping food down.

Talk to your doctor if this keeps up, you may need to get some help for depression and/or anxiety. Even when you are doing your best to "keep it together" for baby, it doesn't really work. Multiple studies have shown that moms who are depressed do not interact with their babies in the same way as moms who are not. If you are so upset that you can't keep food down, you need help.

Dont be hard on yourself, it is not your fault, it is not a sign of "weakness" or anything like that.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Hang in there mama!

(((HUGS)))

MrsKoolaidPunk
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Thank you. I want to avoid prescription meds at all costs. But I'm going to try to snack a bit if I can.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

No, it will take a long time before it will affect your supply. Stay hydrated and do your best. Try small snacks instead full meals. 

I understand, I'm the same way. I cannot eat when I'm upset and will have trouble keeping food down.

Talk to your doctor if this keeps up, you may need to get some help for depression and/or anxiety. Even when you are doing your best to "keep it together" for baby, it doesn't really work. Multiple studies have shown that moms who are depressed do not interact with their babies in the same way as moms who are not. If you are so upset that you can't keep food down, you need help.

Dont be hard on yourself, it is not your fault, it is not a sign of "weakness" or anything like that.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Hang in there mama!

(((HUGS)))

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Quoting MrsKoolaidPunk:

I know I will probably get bashed for letting this get to me and being "weak minded", but my fiancee of 2 years just cheated on me.

You, never. Him? I have a rusty knife you may borrow. Guess where you can use it?

We have split and I'm unable to hold anything down. I am physically ill. I have been trying to eat, but every time I get that "stomach flu" like feeling and am running to the bathroom. It is making me miserable.

And it's stress, not actual sickness, right? (In that vein better get tested for STDs.) 

I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old. I've managed to keep my cool, other than the vomiting and stomach pain, for my baby. But am very worried that this lack of food will effect my milk supply. I'm trying to force myself to eat, but it isn't much help. I am drinking a ton of water, though. Is my supply at risk?  

Not really. YOU are the one at more risk. Get tested and see about something for the stress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN