Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

can't believe already

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 14 Replies
So, some of you wonderful ladies suggested my LO could be teething and I wasn't sure till today. I found two swollen bumps on his upper gums, looks like he's getting canines first. So now I'm curious, how long roughly (I know every baby is different lol) till we see teeth? And how different is nursing with teeth?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be days or it could be months. You won't know until the teeth pop through. Sometimes, the latch needs to be adjusted until the baby gets used to nursing with the new things in his mouth.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
My babies started pre-teething from 4 months but we never saw teeth until 7 months. Very unusual that canines would be first. Usually the bottom incisors are first, followed by the top ones, and then it skips to the bicuspids, and then the canine grows in to fill the gap. But pre teething doesn't have to follow any order because there is no telling when they'll actually break through. One of my friend's babies had a full set of teeth, including her 2 year molars and 2 extra canines on the top by her first birthday, so teeth can follow their own rules.

Nursing with teeth? The bottoms don't matter because their tongue covers them. Some babies bite, some don't. If they try to bite, end the nursing session and put them down. Never solids until after nursing. If the baby wants to nurse they learn really quick that biting mom doesn't get them what they want.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't remember the answer to the first question.

Secon question, nothing changed for us. when you nurse their teeth should not even touch your breast.

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Haha, that's what I thought but idk what else the bumps could be and they weren't there before. Now I'm hoping he inherited my vampire canines like ds1 did lol

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My babies started pre-teething from 4 months but we never saw teeth until 7 months. Very unusual that canines would be first. Usually the bottom incisors are first, followed by the top ones, and then it skips to the bicuspids, and then the canine grows in to fill the gap. But pre teething doesn't have to follow any order because there is no telling when they'll actually break through. One of my friend's babies had a full set of teeth, including her 2 year molars and 2 extra canines on the top by her first birthday, so teeth can follow their own rules.

Nursing with teeth? The bottoms don't matter because their tongue covers them. Some babies bite, some don't. If they try to bite, end the nursing session and put them down. Never solids until after nursing. If the baby wants to nurse they learn really quick that biting mom doesn't get them what they want.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I need to ask also what to do about teething to make him feel better?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Try freezing some cubes of breastmilk and give them to him in a mesh feeder. Or let him gnaw on a really cold damp washcloth. Teething tablets might help. Some people swear by those Baltic amber teething necklaces (baby wears and the acids in the amber help with pain). Whatever you do, do NOT use that anbesol stuff; it messes with the baby's oxygen levels and also can make their mouth so numb that they don't realize they are biting you.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM
I want to get him one of those necklaces so bad! Lol. Thank you for the warning on anbesol. Sounds like scary stuff, how could they even still sell it??!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Try freezing some cubes of breastmilk and give them to him in a mesh feeder. Or let him gnaw on a really cold damp washcloth. Teething tablets might help. Some people swear by those Baltic amber teething necklaces (baby wears and the acids in the amber help with pain). Whatever you do, do NOT use that anbesol stuff; it messes with the baby's oxygen levels and also can make their mouth so numb that they don't realize they are biting you.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently issued a WARNING ABOUT BENZOCAINE, a local anesthetic and the active ingredient in many over-the-counter teething pain gels and liquid medications, like Anbesol and Baby Orajel. Benzocaine has been associated with a rare but serious condition called methemoglobinemia, which reduces the amount of oxygen carried in the bloodstream and can result in death in the most severe cases. The FDA advises parents and caregivers not to use products with benzocaine on kids under 2, except under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional. See a full list of all the OTC MEDICATIONS THAT CONTAIN BENZOCAINE.PLUS: GUIDE TO TEETHING SYMPTOMS AND REMEDIES"

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Frozen/cool washcloth
Frozen breastmilk popcycles (in a meshbag)
Amber necklace

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I used baby oragel with ds1! So scary!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently issued a WARNING ABOUT BENZOCAINE, a local anesthetic and the active ingredient in many over-the-counter teething pain gels and liquid medications, like Anbesol and Baby Orajel. Benzocaine has been associated with a rare but serious condition called methemoglobinemia, which reduces the amount of oxygen carried in the bloodstream and can result in death in the most severe cases. The FDA advises parents and caregivers not to use products with benzocaine on kids under 2, except under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional. See a full list of all the OTC MEDICATIONS THAT CONTAIN BENZOCAINE.PLUS: GUIDE TO TEETHING SYMPTOMS AND REMEDIES"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)