Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Introducing solids

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 26 Replies
I have an ebf 23 week old daughter. Every few days or so, she will have around 2 tbs of cereal mixed with breast milk, or peas, or bananas. She likes to snack, but definitely prefers the breast, which is fine. I'm getting lots of questions about weaning and why aren't I giving her a full meal of solids daily? Any suggestions? When are you all starting solids? How often? Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM
No solids before 6mo.
MyahsMom
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I go by this as well.

Quoting melindabelcher:

No solids before 6mo.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Absolutely no solids before 6 months per the aap & who. When you do introduce solids at 6 months research how horrible cereal is & baby led solids.

BabyFruit Ticker

KatC2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM
She will be 6 months in 2 weeks. I started with some bananas because she kept trying to eat my banana! My son was totally different. Lol

Quoting melindabelcher:

No solids before 6mo.

KatC2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I fed her homemade banana and the cereal is organic brown rice by happy bellies. There is nothing awful in it, I read labels lol

Quoting mamabens:

Absolutely no solids before 6 months per the aap & who. When you do introduce solids at 6 months research how horrible cereal is & baby led solids.

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

well then if you read labels you see all of the processed & fake 'nutrients' in it. Actually the  fake iron in the cereal(no matter organic or not) willinhibit the absorption  of the natural iron in your breastmilk. It's about as nutritious as the box it comes in. Google baby led solids, if they have the pincher grasp, can sit up unassisted & have lost the tongue thrust reflex thent hey can be given small soft chunks of whatever you're eating & tehre's no need to spoon feed anything.

Quoting KatC2:

I fed her homemade banana and the cereal is organic brown rice by happy bellies. There is nothing awful in it, I read labels lol

Quoting mamabens:

BabyFruit Ticker

hreynol25
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I Ebf for 5 months. Month 5 I gave him oatmeal with bm then at 6 months I started him on solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hreynol25
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
He's 9 months. I still bf btw

Quoting hreynol25:

I Ebf for 5 months. Month 5 I gave him oatmeal with bm then at 6 months I started him on solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM
2 moms liked this

6 months, able to sit unassisted, able to use a pincer grasp to pick up foods, loss of tongue thrust.... when all of those are met, I simply cut up a banana and put it in front my baby and watch the magic happen.  No need for purees or spoonfeeding.  In fact, doing baby led solids this way means that my baby learns to chew first and then swallow, meaning that he doesn't have the same propensity to choke as a baby who was spoonfed purees and learned to swallow food without chewing it.

luvmymunchkins3
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

my son is 4months and i give him 1tps of baby food once a week.i never went by the whole 6month thing.i do what i think is best for my kids.i make sure i talk it over with my kids doctors first and we have never had a problem so far

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)