Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Explain on demand feeding ?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son will be 2 weeks tomorrow . He is a good eater. For the first few days the doctor had my wake him up every 2 hours to eat . I did that, but he really didn't want to eat every two hours. I think we're both finally getting use to the breast feeding thing. I'm starting to get more comfortable.

But last night he eat at 11 pm I woke up at 5 am and was like omg , and made him eat ( which doesn't work well , he won't eat when he doesn't want too) then my dd woke up at 9 and I tried to wake him up again to eat. Sometimes he doesn't even want to eat every 2-3 hours. Should I just let him eat when he's hungry?

He weighted 7 pounds. 15 ounces at birth. He's 13 days old and he weighs 8 pounds 11 ounces. Is that normal? He's gained almost a whole pound in 13 days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM
3 moms liked this

If he's still jaundiced I'd wake him up & try to get him to eat more often. If he's not jaundiced then let him sleep &  just feed him everytime he even peeps. My rule of thumb especially this early is at every wiggle & fuss if the diaper is clean & they aren't cold, pop a boob in their mouth. lol

BabyFruit Ticker

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, this!

From the weight gain, I see no reason to try to wake him to eat. He's getting PLENTY!

Quoting mamabens:

If he's still jaundiced I'd wake him up & try to get him to eat more often. If he's not jaundiced then let him sleep &  just feed him everytime he even peeps. My rule of thumb especially this early is at every wiggle & fuss if the diaper is clean & they aren't cold, pop a boob in their mouth. lol

soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
"My rule of thumb especially this early is at every wiggle & fuss if the diaper is clean & they aren't cold, pop a boob in their mouth. lol"

Haha This!!

Quoting mamabens:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah he's done with the jaundice thank goodness! It ended fast, he loves to eat though! One of his doctors wanted me to formula feed , but I stuck with bf. I know he has to eat enough , he's gaining the weight

Quoting mamabens:

Ninjascreenname
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
What's his birthday? My Archer was 7.15 and 20.5 when he was born on 1/17. :)

I feed him when he starts getting antsy, or fussing. :)
Sunflower_rn
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

my dd did this I kept waking her til just about 1 month but she started getting overstimulated I feel, really fussy so I went to on demand and she continues to gain no problem.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

:o) 

Quoting mamabens: If he's still jaundiced I'd wake him up & try to get him to eat more often. If he's not jaundiced then let him sleep &  just feed him everytime he even peeps. My rule of thumb especially this early is at every wiggle & fuss if the diaper is clean & they aren't cold, pop a boob in their mouth. lol

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally this.  If he's sleeping well, let him sleep.  That will change soon enough.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

"My rule of thumb especially this early is at every wiggle & fuss if the diaper is clean & they aren't cold, pop a boob in their mouth. lol"

Haha This!!

Quoting mamabens:

twogirl91
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My first son nursed ALL the time like every hour or 2 and was so skinny (he's 2 now and eats like a teenage boy and is still super skinny), my second son however would sleep 6-8 hours at night when he was born, I let him sleep, he ate every 4 hours during the day and is the chunkiest kid ever. Let him eat when he wants to eat, he will let you know! :)

juniebug11
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
His birthday is jan 24th :)

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

What's his birthday? My Archer was 7.15 and 20.5 when he was born on 1/17. :)

I feed him when he starts getting antsy, or fussing. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN